• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Passenger side front spring hanger...I need help guys (bad)

Motorvated

NAXJA Forum User
I started installing my lift today. Started on the back, driverside. Everything went perfect..Nothing very rusted old spring out new springs on. Move the the passenger side. Get the leaf off of the axle, get the stock shackle out and go to do the front of the spring. The Nut INSIDE of the frame is loose! When i tried to loosen out bolt from the nut, the nut just spins. Theres no way to get to that nut, as its in the boxed frame. Needless to say, i had to go back and reinstall all of the stock stuff..HOW am I going to get to that bolt? Has this happened to anybody else?

I dont really have the money to have a shop do all kinds of fancy custom stuff. What is the easiest/best way to get to that bolt? Again its the passenger side front spring hanger, the bolt insdie the unibody.:doh:

Im thinking about cuttnig a small hol ein the floor on the inside. That way I can get a wrench on the loose bolt. Do my business, and have someone weld the "window" back into the floor. I wanted to Herc my floor anyway...incentive lol Thoughts?

It would be some hellacious cutting, but it just might work. I had tools handy and was to the point of quick and dirty.

I dont think it woudl be to bad to cut through the floor. I mean, all Ide have to go through is the floor and it should put me right inside of the unibody frame no?

If you're replacing the bushings then just cut off the bolt next to the frame and push the nut out of the way. Then have a new piece welded in with a nut attached.

Uh, the nut is not inside the frame, just the bracket:
front_eye.JPG

Notice the extra sheet metal where the frame attaches to the floor pan.

Well....There are small holes on the middle of the unibody. I can reach my pinky finger up through that hole, and feel the bolt that is causing problems. This leads me to believe you CAN access the bolt from inside the frame.

Yeah the first time I took off that spring was a biatch. I ended up using a sawzaw to cut bolt head off. It turned out that I had just stripped the bolt and not the nut, resulting from the bolt being seized with the bushing. Can you tell if the bushing sleeve is turning?

If you position yourself just right (with a flashlight) you can see the nut. Turn the bolt and see if the nut turns. If your lucky, the nut isnt spinning. If the nut isnt spinning when you turn the bolt and it still doesnt want to back out, its siezed in the bushing. If thats the case, as it was with mine, you have to cut the bolt off at both ends, leaving enough at the nut end to grab with vise grips. If the bolt is froze in the bushing, dont force it, you may break the nut loose, then you have two problems to fix.

i had both of the nuts break lose on mine. i just cut a little wedge out of the bottom of that pocket where i could get a wrench in there to get on the nut. i didn't weld that bottom back together for any future removals. i have a tendency to bend the main leafs.

mike

Thanks Ray..I'll take a look at it tomorrow. I know that the bolt turns freeley..but something is keeping it from backing out. I just assumed that the nut inside of the frame rail was spining with it. Your telling me it could just be rusted inside of the bushing?

Motorvated said:
Thanks Ray..I'll take a look at it tomorrow. I know that the bolt turns freeley..but something is keeping it from backing out. I just assumed that the nut inside of the frame rail was spining with it. Your telling me it could just be rusted inside of the bushing?

yes

Back