• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

rusty exhaust install

tgile512

NAXJA Forum User
ok now before anyone says anything i have searched. i just got my rustys 40 series cat back in and i am going to install it. it is pretty much self explanitory on how to do everything except for one part. in the muffler outlet there is a pipe that i can take out. one side is bigger and i am guessing that the bigger end goes into the muffler causing the small side to stick out. now do i just put the tailpipe over that protruding pipe and clamp it down? and if so where do i put the clamp because there is a centimeter gap so do i just put it before the gap. i may have not done the best job describing it but i hope someone can help, thanks

The adapter takes it from the converter back to the muffler...

weld it, it would sound/ work much better
HPIM0256.jpg

HPIM0255.jpg

HPIM0254.jpg

HPIM0253.jpg

The only problem I had with mine was that the down pipe is angled in...and I was forcing the pipe even that far while it was being welded...seems like rusty isn't to exact on welding the hanger.
HPIM0252.jpg

Other than that Rustys cat back sounds insane!
I just went on a trail ride the other day with like 4 other XJ's and they all loved the 40 series cat back compared to dynomax(which one guy was running and said it was junk)

how much sounds gain do you get by adding the 40 series and tailpipe to an otherwise stock exhaust, im wondering because i have the stock manifold and im debating purchasing the kit based on whether im going to like the sound, anyone have a sound clip?

mbiker72 said:
how much sounds gain do you get by adding the 40 series and tailpipe to an otherwise stock exhaust, im wondering because i have the stock manifold and im debating purchasing the kit based on whether im going to like the sound, anyone have a sound clip?

it sounds the deepest out of all the other cat backs for the XJ...I've heard a few different ones...and everyone seems to like my 40 setup.

i have a 40 and a random tech cat and from the 4.0 ho i can get the classic glug glug flowmaster idle sound...also the drone at highway speeds is very bearable and it realy really sounds great...no too loud but loud enough... i am very pleased and i ran a 2.5 downpipe too so it flows very well

Back