• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

new timing set,still noisey??

outlander

NAXJA Forum User
Recently I've been hearing timing chain noise from my 89 cherokee w/ 4.0
so I changed the timing chain and gears.Started it up and the noise is still there...wtf?

I put everything back together by the book and torqued everything down to factory specs(yes I even installed the cam thrust pin and spring),even installed a brand new harmonic balancer and timing chain guide.Why would the timing set still be noisy?

Oh and I'm sure its the timing chain/gears making the noise because I took the serpentine belt of and ran it to eliminate pulley or accessery noise and the noise is definately comming from the timing cover....

Any ideas?

Do you have the rubber bumper/slider in the timing cover?

Yup...I got one from the dealer and installed it when I was doing the timing set....

How possible(or is it even possible?) is it that the crank and cam relationship are not in line causing the timing sprockets to not be lined up?Thats the only thing I can think of that would be causing the noise,which is audible while sitting in the drivers seat with the engine idleing and window down....

Anyone?

Back