• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Cheaper Hack n Tap MINUS THE HACK

XJoshua

NAXJA Forum User
Im no expert on transfer cases or know squat about lifts and SYE but I had an idea while driving on the freeway.

Why not get ride of the whole hack idea?

Use your slip yoke and drill a hole in it through the center. Then tap a hole in the extension housing. Get a bolt and washer of correct size and torque it down.

Since you already have a seal it shouldnt leak atf. Only problem is you need to spend more time fitting the ujoint in and will probally become a bigger pain when your ujoints go out.

Just thought Id share my idea because if this could really work youll only spend maybe $20 in parts instead of $150.

Again Im really interested in this idea and pros and cons would be awesome because it might turn into a project and writeup one of these days.

Too much weight on the end can cause vibrations and the bearings to go out. Hacking it brings it in some.

That and you'd be defeating the purpose of reducing the driveline angle....

Advanced adapters sye is a very easy lit to install. I just installed one in my xj last night. A few suggestions though, do not take the t-case out of vehicle. Its just as easy doing it in the car if its in the air or up on jack stands. And second, do not take the front output shaft seal out unless you plan on replaceing it. The sye kits are supposed to come with a seal and well they dont. I took the t-case out of the truck and installed the sye then got pissed because I had to tear apart the long arm setup for nothing. Hack and tap is bad. Your idea is a good one but not ideal for what we put our jeeps up to.

gixxer410 said:
Hack and tap is bad.

I bet you would have a tough time convincing the thousands upon thousands of people who successfully run the Hack & Tap of this.
I think that sounds like a personal opinion disguised as a fact.

Damn my plan is foiled again. Well doesnt hurt to try and help the Heep community.

Ill keep some other ideas coming.

Forgot about driveline angle, again dont know much about this being my Heep isnt lifter.

Quick question. Why dont YJs get crazy vibes. They are only about 1.5' in length and have about a 45* angle to them.

After that back to topic even though its ended.

XJoshua said:
Damn my plan is foiled again. Well doesnt hurt to try and help the Heep community.

Ill keep some other ideas coming.

Forgot about driveline angle, again dont know much about this being my Heep isnt lifter.

Quick question. Why dont YJs get crazy vibes. They are only about 1.5' in length and have about a 45* angle to them.

After that back to topic even though its ended.

YJs do have problems.
I think another issue with your "no hack" solution is that the shaft is hardened on the end. Im not sure how successful you would be drilling and tapping the hardened end of the shaft.

In reading your original post, you don't mention the most important "fact". When you convert to a hack-n-tap you have to change the drive shaft. The slip yoke is there to allow for the up and down movement of the rear axle. If you bolt both ends and don't allow for the lenght to vary, you have binding and disaster. Also, the yoke on a hack and tap is made to mate to a dual cardan that has a special centering mechanism. The slip yoke has none.

So in short, you need a way to hook to a dual cardan joint and a shaft with a slip joint in the middle.

Here is my cheap solution that has been working for years and I have yet to hear that anybody has broken one.

http://www.4x4getaways.net/oldmansye.htm

Back