• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

DETOURSUSA Tailbone System

Status
Not open for further replies.

anotherjeff

NAXJA Forum User
I want one of these:

ShowLettertailbone.jpg

Made by DETOURSUSA and I'm sure alot of you have seen it, but from what I've read they're not quite ready for production. With a MSRP of less than $400 (Detoursusa guesstimate) these should be a big seller for them.

If this was available right now, I'm just curious to see how many others out there are as interested in this product as I am.

It definitly depends on what exactly is going on where we can't see and how well it ties into the frame rails. I like the look, though.

Considering how well ther Back-bone system works I would have to say they probably applied the same philosophy to this.

KarlVP said:
If you actually wheel, that will get ripped off in a heartbeat. Even if there is some truss inside the factory bumper, that wont last long. And the recovery points there too?

Nope, doesn't look strong enough.
thats quite a bold opinion based on the fact you have seen one picture and know absolutely nothing about the mounting method/system, eh?

Hint: the thing isnt just bolted to the face of the bumper.

Here is a quote from a post in the thread I linked for the hater

"it should be made clear that the TailBone does
'not' use factory bumper brackets, it use's the same bracketry used on our
full SlimLine bumpers, I know it is yet to be shown...I just want to point
that out. The breakdown has been fully photographed, but I'm holding those
photo's back for now, they'll be viewable on the website when released.

Price estimate on the TailBone will be $365-$385.00, it depends what box
pricing comes in at and packaging materials."

i will go ahead and back Detours on this one as well even without seeing it first hand.. Mark absolutely not sell anything he doesnt have total confidence in.. i can see that it wont be as solid a platform as his slim-line bumpers but its obvious he isnt trying to compete with a full bumper with this product. everyone needs a tire carrier but its hard to justify the cost of a whole set up. i see this as a break-thru in the market and i expect it to do very well for him.

I have seen some of Marks (Detours) work. I will say if he is building it it will be dependable and strong. I'm waiting on these myself. I like idea of it because I can run my hitch and still pull my camper.

Assuming the devil's advocate position for a minute, Karl VP isn't totally wrong. Regardless of how well it's attached, you're still running a stock bumper.

If you want to run a stock bumper and be limited by that choice, no harm, no foul.

But if you run anything moderately difficult at someplace like Moab, you'll destroy the bumper and then you have a nice tire carrier on a useless bumper that has become a liability.

If I were using it on my daughter's rig going back and forth to college it would be a perfect way to provide more space without the expense of a $800+ custom bumper.

This bumper was straight on day 1, it was junk on day 4. If you don't wheel it hard, you shouldn't have to replace bumpers very often.
bumperdamage.jpg

Last edited:
Ide buy that for sure! At first glance, YES it does look lik eits just bolted to the bumper. That would be weak, and pointless. BUT if you know anything about the company, you know for a fact its very strong and very capable of doing what they say it will do. I dont work for them BTW...but I like there product.

well. from what i can see [and infer/guess]

it looks as though that system is tied into ANOTHER system inside the bumper which most likely uses the frame rails [or the stock holes] it looks to me like that system comes with the hitch, which one could then begin to assume that there is a lot more into tieing it in than you can see.

ofcourse that is merely speculation... its 100% possible that that hitch is a separate system..

I don't care if the thing has an internal truss and is beefed up all to hell. If you actually wheel, than that stock bumper is gonna fold like a taco. So you will have a great looking tire carrier, with a munched bumper.

If the internal truss matches the stock bumper EXACTLY, than maybe you won't have any problems, but you need some beefy corner protection. Stock is not where it's at.

KarlVP said:
I don't care if the thing has an internal truss and is beefed up all to hell. If you actually wheel, than that stock bumper is gonna fold like a taco. So you will have a great looking tire carrier, with a munched bumper.

If the internal truss matches the stock bumper EXACTLY, than maybe you won't have any problems, but you need some beefy corner protection. Stock is not where it's at.

yeah, and then you can replace the munched stock bumper for $10 from the junkyard.

I could much alot of bumpers before I add up to the difference between this setup and a full rear bumper/tire carrier combo.

When this comes out, I'm ordering it.

IslanderOffRoad said:
yeah, and then you can replace the munched stock bumper for $10 from the junkyard.

I could much alot of bumpers before I add up to the difference between this setup and a full rear bumper/tire carrier combo.

When this comes out, I'm ordering it.

That is the benefit to the design....at least the bumpers are cheap.

I just got sick of the marginal departure angle and the hassle of having replaced three of them before I went to a completely different design.

The other benefit is that you can probably sell it for close to what you paid when you outgrow it.

I like it and would run it if my rig was primarily a street rig. It's certainly better than the stock Jeep carrier that used to be available.

I don't do much heavy rock stuff, I do alot of sand and mud, so i think it's a great setup for me, but i see what you guys mean about how durable a stock bumper is in the rocks.

i'll take one for sure... considering i dont have a place for a spare, and dont see much rock.... and definatly considering the price its a good deal.

Another excellant setup. By looking at the pictures of the xj backbone it looks like it simply bolts to the stock bumper.but don't let looks decieve you. I was so please by the backbone (for the front) when I bought it i didn't bother using the stock bumper but instead did some sheetmetal improvision and I'm very happy with it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back