• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Engine missfire? or electrical? and question on hand held dianostic tools.

XJ96Classic

NAXJA Forum User
two part question...

one... under heaving acceleration my engine missfires or hesitates on and off.. kind of like when you have a loose battery cable on a non carb vehical. ... and that is what i would assume.. a bad ground or something.. but this only happens when i am either accelerating hard or if i am at a stop with low rpms... i can hear/feel the engine 'miss' every now and then at a stop.. so... does anyone have any idea... maybe a sensor?? hopefully...

two... if i bought one of those plug in computer dianostic things for $200.. do they work as well as the big computer on wheels the people at the dealership have... any chance anyone knows one that you can also program your comp with?

1. could be your TPS (throttle position sensor) if its been wet it could be fubar'd. if you replace it, check the new one and look for an orange rubber gasket on it, some don't have that gasket and are more prone to getting wet. Not sure why they have some with some without, also they gasket may be different colours, mine have always been orange though.

2. hypertech makes a reader/programmer.

One. Could be a bad plug wire. I had one that was cracked once and it would only arc to ground when the RPMs where really high, causing a misfire.

Two Programmers are really expensive, and the cheap handhelds only read the error codes. They do not show you any sensor data.

For the sake of not having to sit in a napa parking lot for hours trying different things.. i might just have to suck up the 120 dia fee at the jeep dealership.... shoot.. this will be the first time in 130k miles and 11 years this jeep has had to have anyone other than myself work on it..

when was last tune up?, did you check your wires?plugs?fuel?filter? if not spend away these guys tried to help, i know it helped me i have a bad plug wire, thanks deumbower

You can get the error codes scanned for free at Autozone on the 96, OBD-II.

X2, on a bad plug wire or bad TPS. I would say TPS is most likely suspect based on symptoms.

If it is the OEM TPS with 130,000 miles and 11 years on it, I would change it first, as its due!

Plug wires, cap and rotor too if they are old.

scottmcneal said:
when was last tune up?, did you check your wires?plugs?fuel?filter? if not spend away these guys tried to help, i know it helped me i have a bad plug wire, thanks deumbower

I have relaced the wires, plugs, cap , rotor, and fuel filter, battery, starter, etc..... earlier this year

Ecomike said:
You can get the error codes scanned for free at Autozone on the 96, OBD-II.

X2, on a bad plug wire or bad TPS. I would say TPS is most likely suspect based on symptoms.

If it is the OEM TPS with 130,000 miles and 11 years on it, I would change it first, as its due!

Plug wires, cap and rotor too if they are old.

really? autozone will plug your vehical in?
thanks

17 years and 185K on the original TPS and running better than new! Biggest improvement in perfromance was due to Injector replacement (smoothed out rough idle among other benefits). Second was Borla exhaust from head to tail. Third is just routine maint.

sjx40250 said:
17 years and 185K on the original TPS and running better than new! Biggest improvement in perfromance was due to Injector replacement (smoothed out rough idle among other benefits). Second was Borla exhaust from head to tail. Third is just routine maint.

I would buy and carry a spare TPS if I were you!

That is impressive that the OEM TPS lasted that long! New injectors solved many problems for me too, leaking gas on the manifolds being one of them!:explosion

Back