• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

alternative rear shock mounting

magnum CJ

NAXJA Forum User
the holes that hold the bolts for the upper mount on one of my rear shocks has rusted out and dropped the shock. short of welding in a new threaded insert, I was looking for a different way of mounting the upper part of the rear shocks. haven't found any ideas that appeal to me as I'm not looking to cut a hole in the floor and mount to an internal roll cage that I don't have since this is still my daily driver (for a little longer).

any good suggestions?

I should mention, I had already gone thru the ever lovely breaking of the bolts years ago. I had already drilled out and retapped to a larger bolt. I was using stainless bolts to keep from breaking again. I also had made my own BPE out of stainless for back there, but the body rusted away and the bolt fell out losing half of my custom made BPE mount. :(

I'm considering a bracket design that I would weld into place that allows the use of non bar pin shocks (like I currently have) but I'm also wondering if there is a better place to mount them on the body for a better travel geometry.

that JKS adjustable crossover shock mount sounds like a very fine idea! I can fab one of those in short order.

now if I can just get seanR to buy the metal for a couple I'd fab em up in no time! ;)

Ten High said:
i just bought this one: http://www.crossenterprises.com see jeep xj shock hoop(toward the bottom of the jeep products list).

it's a really nice piece, just need to weld those lower mounts on now....

where is that mounting on the ends? the sway bar mounting on the "frame"?

that looks darn nice.

Back