• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Replacement U joint for Super 30

Bichi

NAXJA Forum User
I need to replace the u-joints in my super 30 axles, I do not know if these are stock u-joins or modified. Does anyone know what is ths part number?

Thanks a lot.

I'm pretty sure that regular Spicer 297/760 u-joints will fit. Most of the uber joints, like CTM and OX will interchange with the stock joints. So I can't imagine that the Super 30 kit would be any different.

I can concur its just normal 760 joints. I did CTM's on mine and am very pleased with them.

cal said:
I can concur its just normal 760 joints. I did CTM's on mine and am very pleased with them.

Thanks for all your replies, I drive up to 100 miles to the trails each way with speeds up to 80 mph, will the CTMs handle the abuse on-road?

I took a look at Quadratec`s site and they say the replacement part is 260X, which is the difference between the different models.

Thanks a lot.

Stock replacement joint was a 260X, before the 297/760 upgrade option came out in 96? The 260 has a smaller (weaker) cross section than the 297/760 units. Using 260's would be a downgrade in strength.

CTM's will hold up fine to freeway driving if you run hubs up front so the shafts aren't twirling at speed, if not then expect a shorter lifespan as the CTM runs bushings in the caps instead of needle bearings. This makes them stronger when torque is applied, but shortens the lifespan when operated at high speed, long term. I have no personal hands-on knowledge with the CTM's, but I do read posts from folks that do.

Bichi said:
Thanks for all your replies, I drive up to 100 miles to the trails each way with speeds up to 80 mph, will the CTMs handle the abuse on-road?

I took a look at Quadratec`s site and they say the replacement part is 260X, which is the difference between the different models.

Thanks a lot.

I DD on my CTM's, and have for a year or so. Just grease them more often (once a month) and use quality grease (I use pure power, CTM sells it).

Your jeep may have had 260 joints OEM, but super30's all use 760 (297, same size) joints. 260's were a little smaller.

You're sure you have super 30 axles?

cal said:
I DD on my CTM's, and have for a year or so. Just grease them more often (once a month) and use quality grease (I use pure power, CTM sells it).

Your jeep may have had 260 joints OEM, but super30's all use 760 (297, same size) joints. 260's were a little smaller.

You're sure you have super 30 axles?

Yes, I had heard about the CTMs exxcellent characteristics off-road and not so good on-road, my question came from there. The price of the CTMs is 10 times the price of the Spicer, I will probably buy a couple of spicers to have spares instead of the CTMs.

I have a Super 30 because I bought it. As I was told that the U-joints are stock I looked at the stock part in the site and it is teh 260x. I now know that I need the 760 so I will buy it.

Thanks a lot for the help.

Check out the Alloy USA X-joint. They are a little stronger than the Spicer, are greasable, and have a retaining ring in the caps that don't allow the needles to fall out as easy. They come with both regular and full circle clips.

In my Yukon joints:

alloyusaxjoint001zw8.jpg

alloyusaxjoint010ji2.jpg

Back