• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

no catilatic converter

chadd_raylee_389@h

NAXJA Forum User
i searched and didnt come up with what i wanted. ive heard of people taking out there catilatic converter and ive heard that they run like crap without it. i have a 1990 cherokee 4.0 manual 4x4 with 208000 miles. runs like a champ but want to free up the exaust a little with no cat and flowmaster and all new 2.5 or 3 inch exaust. if you know let me know or point me to a thread. thanks in advanced

Chadd

Replace the cat with a high flow converter. You can get one for around $120.00 or so. If you can afford a 2-3" exhaust system, then you can spend a little extra to stay emissions legal. It's not worth removing it. Two of my buddies removed/hollowed out their cats, and both vehicles run a tad rich now. They didn't gain any power over what they had with a functioning cat.

mine is hollowed out and it runs fine, even passed smog without it just fine. sounds good too. I might end up putting a high flow one back in when i get a full exhaust, just so its not so loud.

I ran my 90 without a converter and a Flowmaster 40, and I currently run my 91 without and a Flowmaster 40 I have had no problems at all. I even went as far as having it emissions tested like this and it passed.

mrrbby said:
Replace the cat with a high flow converter. You can get one for around $120.00 or so. If you can afford a 2-3" exhaust system, then you can spend a little extra to stay emissions legal. It's not worth removing it. Two of my buddies removed/hollowed out their cats, and both vehicles run a tad rich now. They didn't gain any power over what they had with a functioning cat.

Damn, I don't know where you found your cat at, but $120 is on the steep side.

http://www.jegs.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/product_10001_10002_61824_-1

You do not need to run a cat on a Renix XJ. There is no O2 behind it so it affects nothing. Did it to my 88 and it runs cooler and I got about 2mpg more from it. That is if you dont have an emissions inspection in Kansas, but we don't in Missouri. All I need is a $20 and I get my inspection done.

I ordered a dynomax cat back from quadratec along with the cat so as to pass emmisions here in the Houston area. It just barley passed emmsions and didnt really run all that bad. I noticed a small change with it back on.But not enough to go without. In my experience it helps to even out the power curve.
Before that i had, i think, better accelleration.
I would get a better exhaust and a new cat. Leave it on. Its easier to sell if you should ever need to as well.

Will no cat on a newer XJ throw a code? Im assuming it does, just never really heard it mentioned.

well i cut the cat off today and found out that it is hollow. so i waisted my time cutting if off and had to weld it back on. but i guess now i know. and i dont have any emissions test in kansas

Back