• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

hood vent install

sassyspapa

NAXJA Forum User
Thinking of cutting holes in my hood to install vents. Very scary! I haven't found anyone in my searches that has discussed water coming in on the engine. Copious amounts of cold rain water on hot engine can't be good! Is there anybody out there that wants to encourage me or talked me out of it?

sassyspapa said:
I have the LeBaron hood vents and I'm not afraid to install them. But I am concerned about all that water anybody with experience?
Plenty. Quit worrying and install them. I've had mine in for about a year now and they work great - you can see the heat rolling out of them on the trail.
If you are really worried about water, do what I did and put them up front so they aren't directly over your throttle body and its sensors. I put mine about 5 inches back from the leading edge of the hood, which places them right over the back side of the radiator where all that hot air is rushing . Lots of underhood heat gets out and no water issues.
Only installation difference is that after you cut your outlines in the sheetmetal (I used a thin cut-off disc in a 4.5" grinder and a steady hand, which worked perfectly) you pry the sheetmetal off of the hood supports and trim enough of the top edge of the hood supports (the part that used to touch the bottomside of the hood sheetmetal) to make room for the vent to drop in and sit flush on the hood. You can drill a couple of small holes in the hood support if you're also worried about water sitting in that hood support. A quick shot of spray paint on the raw metal surfaces and you're ready to drop in the vents.
Quit worrying and do it.

These are Race Ace Vents, Got them before they became so expensive. But I like them.

bodyshop03.jpg

I have a Lebaron Vent right above throttle body. Had it for over a year. I run it through car washes all the time. Go for it. Start cutting.

One recommendation, cut too small at first then SLOWLY open up the hole. Mine was 1/8" too big in one spot. I ended up taking care of it, but if you can avoid cutting too big.

gijosiahh said:
do you have pics of where you placed the vents? id like to see what it looks like there.

Here's mine.
HPIM0181.jpg

No problems with water since 03. JIM.

I can take the vents off your hands for you if you ar't going to us them.
Have jeep, Will cut. No problem.

Mdub said:
I have a Lebaron Vent right above throttle body. Had it for over a year. I run it through car washes all the time. Go for it. Start cutting.

One recommendation, cut too small at first then SLOWLY open up the hole. Mine was 1/8" too big in one spot. I ended up taking care of it, but if you can avoid cutting too big.

I also put mine in about a year ago. I thought I would have prob's during the winter (blizzard in s.e. col.), but as it turned out, they worked great and had no problems at all inside the engine compartment. I placed mine like many others at the back, near the cowl as close as I could to the hood supports. Cut Small at first and it will go better!!!
I used a Jig saw with a very fine tooth blade, and worked great too.
So far ir has been close to 100 a few times here and the heat that pours out of the openings is incredible.
It is a good thing you have the Labaron Vents, they work great and look really good too.
I really like them for their weight. I secured them to the hood using some leftover pellet stove exhaust caulk that is rated for 500 degrees. It is black and matches the vents. It has held them down really good as well. That way I didnt have to use screws and do more than necessary.
Another piece of advise though.......I found that ususing thsi site to inquire information is a great idea, but if you wait for the right answer, you will get too much info!! Sometimes it just comes down to just doing it and seeing what happens.
Cutting into the hood though will be very weird, to the point you feel very uncomfortable and maybe feel you have to ask forgiveness of the Jeep god's, or God himself?
Have fun and enjoy

heres a few pics of mine, a guy from terrian stompers had some and helped me put mine in! they work great and look cool too!

think louvers would be more advisable because the openings are less vertical and rain water would have a harder time getting in while parked?

zzyzx said:
I hated my Lebaron hood vents just for that reason. RAIN/WATER/MUD. So i tossed that hood and got another. Then i installed a set of hood louvers.

Here is what i used.
http://www.genright.com/category.aspx?categoryID=117

I'm just curious, how is it that the Lebarrons didn't work but those aftermarket customs did? do they come with rain gutters? or something???

I used 280Z vents. When I cut out the hole, I left cut out some tabs to use to mount the vents. I thought it a pretty trick idea. I took a bunch of pictures but I'll have post them when I get home. I have been using these for almost 4 years now. No problems with rain at all. They do a tremendous job of getting rid of underhood heat. My feet no longer cook during the summer.

I was contemplating cutting a hole above my driver's headlight to get more air to the intake. Something with vents though, not just a raw hole. I'm a little shaky about the whole fiberglass thing though. Maybe I'll go to the boneyard and practice up a bit first.

Back