• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Did they send me the wrong @#$%#$ lift?

I got my Rusty's 3" Lift with full spring packs last night and began to install it today. The first thing I was unhappy with was the fact that they sent me the instructions for the AAL kit, not the full spring pack kit. No big deal, but it would have been nice to have correct instructions. The front suspension went in with little fuss. The rear seemed to be going smoothly enough until i tried to put in the new spring pack. The pin was too big. Then I looked at the label on the pack, which said (some Numbers)XJ35. I have the Chrysler 8.25 rear axle and was sure to make note of that when placing my order. Did they send me the kit for the Dana 35!? Does anyone else have this kit with which they can verify this number? If this is the Dana 35 spring pack, is it just a matter of drilling out the hole a little and using these springs, or do I have to have the correct springs?

Any help would be greatly appreciated. I really hope I don't have to get the new packs, because waiting till midweek would be a HUGE PITA
mad.gif

Thanks guys!

Hmm, it didn't come with any U-Bolts at all. I am talking about the center pin. I guess tomorrow I'll drill that out and see if the stock U-bolts fit.
And you're right, having the correct instructions would be nice.... Fuckin Rustys...

Maybe someone has the correct instructions laying around that they could scan and email or fax to me?

Last edited:
Calm down. If it's the center pin, drill it out so it fits. The XJ35 may mean XJ 3.5" lift springs. Who knows.... If the Ubolts don't fit, get some that do. Slow down and enjoy working on the thing. If you have a wheeling trip tomorrow, get some local guys to help.

Sorry for all the Off Topic bull. Rarely does an install go perfectly. It happens to all of us.

Haha, you're right. I've been pissed all evening but I'm starting to calm down. I'll just get up tomorrow and take it slow. And if it doesn't work, I'll call monday and insist they send the correct parts.

As for the spring rate, I went with the 150lb. It's just the front springs that you can choose. If you're going to have a heavy aftermarket bumper and winch, the 180 is the way to go, otherwise the 150. That's what I was told at least.

Thanks guys!

Thanks for the spring rate info. I chose the 150s also but I wasn't real sure I made the right decision. It's a little reassuring to know someone else made the same choice. Good luck getting that lift on.

Well I didn't end up needing the instructions for the front suspension, but when you run into a problem and don't know what to do, it's nice to have somethign to refer to.
Not everyone has done this a hundred times. So thanks for the worthless and condescending posts XgeekstarX and bobnoxious. I may be a total noob when it comes to jeeps, but I happen to be an expert with computers, and when people come to our forum asking for help we don't act like jerks...
Way to make your whole forum look bad....

bobnoxious said:
If you need instructions to swap a set of leaf springs out, you might be in over your head.
Gee, Bob... Thanks for those words of wisdom... tard

Like everyone else said "drill the holes bigger on the spring perches".

I have a RE 4.5 full pack and you have to do the same thing. just beefier pins than stock.

drew and not u said:
Well I didn't end up needing the instructions for the front suspension, but when you run into a problem and don't know what to do, it's nice to have somethign to refer to.
Not everyone has done this a hundred times. So thanks for the worthless and condescending posts XgeekstarX and bobnoxious. I may be a total noob when it comes to jeeps, but I happen to be an expert with computers, and when people come to our forum asking for help we don't act like jerks...

I don't think either were behaving poorly, it is you who makes this forum look bad using words that are unacceptable in a public forum. Join and take the cursing to the members den. :lecture:
As to instructions, isnt that why you logged in and registered? To ask advice when the printed word doesn't seem to fit?

before you go drilling the spring perch make sure there isnt a spacer of some kind under the head of the center pin. IIRC my RE springs had a spacer i had to remove and it fit perfectly.

as far as not appreciating what some people have to say you need to take a step back and realize that we have almost 20,000 registered users on this forum. not everyone gives a crap about your feelings.

i have a few suggestions for you..

1. get a thicker skin and leave the profanity to other forums.

2. ALWAYS call the vendor who sold you a part BEFORE you modify anything to make their parts work on your application.

3. get yourself an FSM and read it before you start your next project.

good luck!

Gee, Bob... Thanks for those words of wisdom... tard

Huh, I don't remeber calling anybody names. I was stating a fact...if he needs to have a set of instructions to swap out a set of leaf springs, he may be in over his head with this mod to his rig. Sorry you felt offended:rattle:

Sorry you were offended also (I was stating a fact...I didn't mean for it to be condescending), but I stand by what I said. Rusty doesn't sell different packs for different axles...I don't think anybody does. I'm glad you were able to figure out your problem. Good luck with your rig:D

ah, no worries. After being so frustrated, by both the blistering NC heat and having hit a roadblock so close to completion, I took it too personally. My bad. And sorry about the profanity, after Jeeptube used it I thought it was ok around here.
Anyways, I'm going to go drill out the holes today and see if I can't get this thing finished without anymore fuss.
Thanks again everyone!

drew and not u said:
ah, no worries. After being so frustrated, by both the blistering NC heat and having hit a roadblock so close to completion, I took it too personally. My bad. And sorry about the profanity, after Jeeptube used it I thought it was ok around here.
Anyways, I'm going to go drill out the holes today and see if I can't get this thing finished without anymore fuss.
Thanks again everyone!
If the center pin is what you are talking about, you can substitute a fine thread allen head bolt and nut. Most center pins are either 5/16" or 3/8" ... more than likely with the 8.25 you'll need the 5/16". With the allen head bolt, you'll need to roll grind the head so it will fit in the spring perch, but that's no big deal. It's much easier than doing all the drilling.

Just a suggestion ...

Les

Well after drilling out the holes everything else went smoothly, and here is the result:
IMG_1995.jpg

The exhaust is hanging down because we removed the TC after finishing the lift. The tranny is resting on the cinderblock. We are going to clean the TC out and put all new seals and gaskets in. After that I plan on getting a lockright front locker and a set of 32x10.50 M/Ts.
Thanks for the advice guys :)

Back