• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Changed Cap and Rotor - Running Rich and Backfiring

J-Roc

NAXJA Forum User
I have a 96' XJ 4L, did a full ignition tune up...had the wrong cap and rotor so I changed the plugs and wires first, then today I was attempting to swap the other two out since I exchanged them...

All goes well until I started it up.

It runs like a diesel... it is idling without and issue but now it is running super rich and backfiring

The timing is computer controlled... so how could I have advanced it or retarded it by changing out the cap and rotor? I have the originals on there right now and the same problem is still present. I am searching for answers but I am hoping for quicker responses.

It finally threw a code when I putted down the street but I don't have a code reader, and I can't do the ignition on/off/on trick because I have OBDII

I have triple checked the firing order from info I have found on search...I'll go take a pic of the cap so I can clarify this...

As well, I put the rotor on the same way it came off... I couldn't put it on any other way because of the "groove" that is on it... I have been reading posts about finding TDC but that shouldn't be necessary in my case should it?

wires.jpg

Last edited:
That picture says it all. The way you have it numbered has it firing cylinders in the following order. 1-6-3-5-2-4.

I beleive the proper firing order is 1-5-3-6-2-4. And thats right from the chessy, yet useful Haynes Manual.:thumbup:

Back