• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Bolt help...shocks and leaf springs

ntrsvic

NAXJA Forum User
Hello again.

Middle of putting a lift on. Got a few questions.

1. As expected...all four bolt heads on the rear shocks broke off. We are going to drill thoe out. What size bolt do we need to put in there? and should we use a slightly wider bolt now? Are they the same size as the front shocks?..if so, that makes this easy to figuire out.

2. Can not get one of the four bolts (the front one that screws into the frame) out of the leaf spring. It seems the threads are now stuck into the internal metal ring of the bushing (we can see that rotate...the rubber part doesn't).

2a. We have tried PB blaster and a torch and trying to get a crowbar in there to stop the metal cyclinder from rotatiing. Any ideas on how to get that bolt out? Besides cutting apart everything? (We dont think the bolt is out enough before it seazed to just cut the bolt)

2b Dimensions on those four bolts and a place to buy them online?..Anyone know one...I can't find a site that has em listed.

Thanks in advance for any help :flipoff:

ntrsvic said:
Hello again.

Middle of putting a lift on. Got a few questions.

1. As expected...all four bolt heads on the rear shocks broke off. We are going to drill thoe out. What size bolt do we need to put in there? and should we use a slightly wider bolt now? Are they the same size as the front shocks?..if so, that makes this easy to figuire out.

I used Warrior Bar Pins. and the bolts were a little smaller than the stock ones, they just poped right in.

2. Can not get one of the four bolts (the front one that screws into the frame) out of the leaf spring. It seems the threads are now stuck into the internal metal ring of the bushing (we can see that rotate...the rubber part doesn't).

Try a pickle fork to pound it out. If the bolt is spining with the sleave use the fork to apply pressure then try to spin the bolt.

2a. We have tried PB blaster and a torch and trying to get a crowbar in there to stop the metal cyclinder from rotatiing. Any ideas on how to get that bolt out? Besides cutting apart everything? (We dont think the bolt is out enough before it seazed to just cut the bolt)

Is the bolt still in the nutsert? If not cut the bolt with a sawzaw grab a beer and put the new spring in.

2b Dimensions on those four bolts and a place to buy them online?..Anyone know one...I can't find a site that has em listed.

try the stealership....

Thanks in advance for any help :flipoff:

1 - Drill them out or use an air chisel to knock out the remains. Use whatever fits. Fish the bolts into the body/frame with a bit of wire or string. Use the triangle shaped hole in the body/frame.

2 - You will probably never get a seized bolt/sleeve out of the leaf spring eye. Use an angle grinder and a 4" or 5" cutting disk to cut the bolt off inside the spring mount.

The bolts are Jeep part number 34202118 - M14x2.0x120, these are also used on the lower control arm. The rear spring eye bolts can be substituted, I pick up spares at the junkyard.

not that its a routine thing to unbolt the rear shocks but i would suggest that replacing the 4 bolts on the rear shocks without BPEs would be a wast of time because of the PITA that you'll have to go thru each time you replace the shocks..

the small brackets that connect the rear swaybar to the axle ubolt plates make perfect BPE for the rear..
then instead of using the bar pins in the upper shock eyes you just simply slide a bolt thru the bracket and thru the shock bushing and tighten one nut per shock..

do a search for bar pin eliminators (BPE)

Back