• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

comp test results. advice?

beakie

NAXJA Forum User
so while tearing into a few probjects today I figure why not do a comp test (my first attempt).
at first I thought I may be doing something wrong, but I tried again, right from the Haynes manual, first dry than wet... here are the results

before oil

1 150
2 165
3 160
4 165
5 170
6 170

after oil

1 160
2 190
3 185
4 185
5 190
6 210

they all built up quickly, but from what I understand those numbers are not so good.

So any ideas on what I can do from here. The rig will be off the road for a few more days, but I am not so mechanically inclined as to rip into the engine.

On top of this when I was pulling to spark plug wires one came apart, the plug clip came out of the wire. So now I am going to replace all of them. Any thoughts on what I should go for? Is it worth the extra coin for a full MSD set, will a normal stock replacement from NAPA do, or something inbetween?

thanks for all the help

I wish mine were that good. Not perfect but good. You've got around a 15% difference in the highest and lowest, well within tolerance.
There are some variables when checking the compression. How fast the motor is turning over and how many times it turns over for each cylinder, can make for some minor differences.
The wet test is usually just to compare a low cylinder, to the same cylinder with a little extra oil seal. Or for trying to figure out if the compression loss is the rings or the valves.
Don't over do the oil, this can be destructive. A spoon full is enough (or three small squirts from a pump style oiler).
Run it and check it again in a couple of years.

thanks fella's. I thought it was 20psi variance that was bad, but I guess its 20%, which make these look ok in the end, good. Bosch plug wires eh? easy enough, saw some while gathering fluids n such yesterday before getting started.

Back