• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Are all mono tubes created the same?

cw50must

NAXJA Forum User
I purchased a set of the Rubicon Express Mono Tube shocks for my ~4.25" of lift.

The front is great, the rear is very soft.

I have the RE 3.5" leaf packs in the rear with a .75 shackle. I went from some cheap Rusty's gas shocks to these.

Problem is after any bump, speed bumps, driveways etc the rear will bounce several times. Also at highway speeds they are very bouncey over even the slightest crack in the pavement.

So I was wondering if Bilsteins or any of the others might be stiffer before buying more, or if I should just go back to the cheapies?

I have an e-mail into RE to find out if this is normal but have not heard back yet.

Sounds like your rears are shot, but yes bilstien 5150's should stiffen that up a bit. Be sure to get the 255/70 valving.

I'm running the recommended RE mono-tubes front and rear and haven't experienced what you have. Mine are about 18 months and 17,000 miles old.

Mine weighs about 5,000 pounds fully loaded for a distant trip, it's almost 50/50 so figure 2500 on the rear axle. No issues at all about bouncing around.

My question would be do you have them installed correctly, can up?

If so, are you sure they are the mono-tubes and they aren't double tubes mounted upside down? They look similar. FWIW.

cw50must said:
They are 100% mono tubes and they are mounted correctly.
That's weird.

I've got nothing to suggest. Never seen that happen unless the shock was worn out. That shouldn't be the case here.

BTW, nice looking truck.

Back