• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Running wires for roof top lights

Eisenherz

NAXJA Forum User
Ive looked and read through articles, but I dont recall one that mentioned how they ran wires. There could have been one but I guess theres another now. :eeks1:. Anyways enough babble. Ive got 4 overhead lights and Im trying to figure out a way to run my wires into the cab to the switches. I thought about drilling a hole and sealing it up but then I thoguht theres got to be another way. Has anyone done this before? If so thanks for advice.

I ran my wires down the gutter rail mount of my roof rack and in the top rear corner of the passenger side door opening (because it dosn't get used as much as the drivers side) then tuck the wires behind the trim. I put convelute around the wires to protect them, the wires get pinched by the door, but not tight enough to damage them. I've rum mine this way for about 5 years with no water leaks, or rub throughs. My CB antenna wire is run the same way.

Drill a hole in the roof right inside of the factory roof rack rail and seal it up with Silicone. It's the best way-easiest on the wire and very hidin. I've had mine like that for a long time and no problems at all. I hate seeing wires run all over the place. Later

won't silicon damage the paint, or cause some problems. for some reason I thought I read somewhere not to use silicon on the body as it will cause rust or something like that.

Never heard about silicone damaging paint. I went through the rack rail with silicone in the hole and had no leaks for over 2 years. Going through the rail also looks a lot cleaner.

I'd heard the same thing about silicone and auto finish work, don't have any idea if its true or not...

I ran my wires behind the trim up the a-pillar and drilled under the roof rack. Used JB weld just to be sure about the silicone thing.

No need for relay if you use a switch of sufficient load rating.
If you use the stock switch you will need relay(s). Or if you want to control then with the headlights or some other tricky way. Relays will be needed.
I would run a lead right from the battery for the lights. Fused this line close to the battery.

Mine isnt nearly as clean but then again i was running a whole lot of power to the roof for 6 lights. I would suggest using relays, just makes life easier and you can run a thinner guage to your switch panel.

I used the front roof rack screw as my ground, and drilled a hole in the rain gutter channel, ran the wires behind the door seal, and into the engine compartment. Ran the cab wires for switches thru the rubber grommet below the steering column under the dash. With the roof lights, I have 3 switches at that same spot, to the right of the ignition
new034.jpg

new109.jpg

new108.jpg

Last edited:
Back