• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Please Help - Door lock problem

osweezea

NAXJA Forum User
Last weekend I decided t leave me 88 Comanche up north instead of trailering it home. I am planning on going back up north early this coming week, so I thought it would be okay to leave and unneccesary to trailer it home and then back up. Anyway, my problem is that I purchased the trucknearly two months ago, and never locked the doors because it was always within earshot or in my backyard. My problem is that the keys given to me from the previous owner turn in the doors, but do not actually unlock the locks. So, needless to say, after I attempted to unlock the drivers door and discovered that the key does not work, I left the passenger door open. So, I can at least get in the truck, but does anyone have any ideas of how to get the locked door open and unlocked. An added twist to my problem is that when I tried to unlock the door from the inside, the lock would move to the unlocked position, however, the door remained locked.

So, to sum up my problem, I have a locked drivers side door that shows that the door is unlocked, and a useless key. I do however have access to the door from the unlocked passenger door, but am unable to unlock it.

Any help would be greatly appreciated - getting in and out through the passenger side would be a huge inconvenience, seeing as how getting in and out of the drivers door is already difficult seeing as how I am 6'4" and the truck does have an interior roll cage.

If it matters to getting the unlocked, I do not need to lock the doors ever again, but I thought it may prevent hoodlums from getting in and stealing things like tow straps and fire extinguuishers and what not.

Thanks for the help and words of encouragement in advance! Hopefully one of you great Jeep GURU's can come through for me in this idiotic pinch.

Sounds like the linkage has popped off at the latch, or the latch (due to the age of the vehicle) is warn inturnaly. Try using a slim-Jim and see if you can pop the latch or unlock it manuaily, then you can get the door panel off and diag your problem.

This isn't Modified Tech, 1st off.
Second off, your door lock linkage has popped off, all you need to do is take off your door panel off and inspect the linkage. It's not that big a deal, if you know how to turn a screw driver and put a rod in a hole, you'll be FINE.
Once you see what linkage is missing from where, find it and pop it back in.
Now get at it and relax/

Back