• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Parking garage ground clearance brainstorm.

ECKSJAY

Water is dirty
Ok, so I got this new job in Downtown Seattle and have to park in a garage. My issue isn't on overhead clearance, but more about the underneath clearance. ;) Never thought I'd say it, but my Jeep is too tall! The tires (37x12.50 MTr) bring the axles and wheels up too far from the floor detectors at the entrance/exit gates. I know my card works, but the Jeep isn't picked up so the arm won't activate.

Short of hanging a 1/4" steel plate from chains underneath the behemoth, does anyone have any suggestions? I'm thinking an electromagnet attached to the front axle that I can turn on and off from the dash would kick ass, lol. I'm sure it's something simple...even thought of using a grounding strap. Not sure if it'd be enough to pick that up though. Thoughts?

You could try an E locker :D it might work, should be good if you need to justify it to the wife if there is one...
Are you running steel or alloy wheels ?
I used to have this problem at traffic lights with my 1981 Yamaha XS1100 midnite, all aluminum engine, wheels and it would not trigger traffic lights. Very annoying, in fact got pulled over after sitting at a light for close to 10 min, no traffic, went thru and cop out of nowhere. Actually had to show him, he musta called somebody and they turned the sensitivity up. It was right after they resurfaced the road with new blacktop.

I know a trash can lid will set off our inductance loop for our gate at work. So keep a trashcan lid in the passenger seat and toss it out on the loop when you need to leave. :firedevil

Is the loop under either of the axles, or does it end up under the middle of the vehicle? You could try something like Metal Thrasher posted or just tell them they need to turn the sensitivity up a little.

Too Funny! How about Curb Feelers. :rof:

MisterFubar said:
I know a trash can lid will set off our inductance loop for our gate at work. So keep a trashcan lid in the passenger seat and toss it out on the loop when you need to leave. :firedevil .

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

MisterFubar said:
Is the loop under either of the axles, or does it end up under the middle of the vehicle? You could try something like Metal Thrasher posted or just tell them they need to turn the sensitivity up a little.

THAT is what I need to check out... I'm going to look today when I leave that garage. If it's a case where the axle sits above too high, a strong magnet should take care of me.

Thanks for the replies, you've all set me in the right direction now. I'll post up when I solve this one. :)

Put bigger tires on and let someone drive under you to triger gate. Bigger tires is/are allways the answers.:)

DaffyXJ said:
Too Funny! How about Curb Feelers. :rof:

Hahahahah! I was just about to say the same exact thing!! lol

And yeah Badron, bigger tires are always the answer.

You could always stick one of those little Toyota Yaris or Honda Fit cars under your Jeep. That might set off the detector, and when you decide to go off road, it should be small enough to not cause any clearance problems.

Back