• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

89 xj front pinion yoke play

bcmaxx

NAXJA Forum User
Howdy all, Have an 89 xj with d30 up front, the yoke has some just noticeable play in it as well as a weeping seal, can I just replace the seal and crank it up or is this a complete dissasseble and replace bearings?? Thanks, I do have a 4:10 d30 with alloy usa axles I plan to install when I find a suitable rearend, just drive it till then?

If the yoke has noticable play, I'd say you need to replace your bearings, but that's just me. If you just replace the seal, your seal will be bad within the month because the yoke will be moving around and will destroy the seal. You could try to replace the seal and when you put the yoke back on, torque it back to spec and see if that tightens it up, but that might not help.

53guy said:
If the yoke has noticable play, I'd say you need to replace your bearings, but that's just me. If you just replace the seal, your seal will be bad within the month because the yoke will be moving around and will destroy the seal. You could try to replace the seal and when you put the yoke back on, torque it back to spec and see if that tightens it up, but that might not help.

x2
play=worn bearing

continue like this and use 4wd the r&p teeth will begin to shear off

53guy said:

Had this exact issue on my ZJ 3 years ago. I changed the seal and retorqued and its been fine ever since.

Back