• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Similar Air Cleaner Box

rocket

NAXJA Forum User
Hey everyone-
Forgive me if I've missed this in a search but I need some help. I swapped out my original air cleaner assembly for a tube and cone K&N and am finding out that it's not going to work very well at all where I live. I live in Nebraska and alot of the back roads around here are sand, more like powdered sugar. I don't want to risk the motor so I want to switch back.

My problem now is that in the excitement of my purchase I tossed the factory air cleanerbox. (Feel like an idiot.) The local junk yard does not have one so I am left to trying to find one on the web.

I have a two door 96 cherokee sport with the 4.0 ho. What years used the same air cleaner box as the 96?

If someone has the proper assembly with the throttle body tube and would like to sell it I would consider that as well.

I appreciate the help. You guys are a wealth of knowledge.

Scott

you can always get a cover for the cone filter, or use a piece of nylon panty hose until you find a better airbox. it really helps thats what i do when i run down to the desert.

My '99 looks exactly the same as my fiance's '96 (ok, the clamps look slightly different but they do eactly the same thing. A friends '94 looked the same when he tossed it. A search on ebay brought up one from a '92, and one for a '91 - '95; both of which also look the same or extremely similar.
And don't worry I would have probally got rid of it too, or tried to sell it for a buck or two.

EDIT: I can't remember when, but I remember different filters depending on the year, that would probally be the best way to go. find out what filter fits your year range, then get one from that year range. just my $.02

Edit #2: I would probally just get that prefilter (cover), however.

Last edited:
Dakotas also used the same filter as the XJ. I know that there were some that wanted a tighter fitting flat filter and the dakota was 1/2" bigger but would fit like a glove and seal around the edges better, also this was an issue with the K&N flat filter so it was suggested to use the one for the Dakota, I'm assuming it was 98 cause thats what I have. I think the boxes are all pretty much the same if they are OBDII.
To filter out the dust on the cone filters, very thin foam, we used that on the GM diesels that came in the military blazers and GM pickups before we got the H1's.

Like RichP said a foam sock helps. The OEM stock filter will plug up fast also, it's pretty darned fine.
I had a selection of filter material in the shop, so I really can't tell you which micron rating filter material I used (I'd guess around 10 micron, the 3 micron I had on the shelf looked a little too fine).
Making a pattern and cutting out some covers for your cone filter, wouldn't be hard. Contact cement the two ends together or even use a stapler. Hand wash in warm water, keep spares.
Some place that sells bulk filter material for restaurants and air conditioners would be a good place to look.
5-90 may have a guess what micron rating might be the best choice, too fine and it plugs up fast, too coarse and it doesn't help much. The efficiency rating of the filter material is also a factor.
http://www.filtercouncil.org/techdata/tsbs/04-3.html
I put a pre filter (flat foam 1 cm thick), before my K&N flat filter, it actually helps it seal in the box better.
Once you get the pattern right, making replacements takes minutes.

Last edited:
GrimmJeeper said:
you can always get a cover for the cone filter, or use a piece of nylon panty hose until you find a better airbox. it really helps thats what i do when i run down to the desert.

Never thought about the panty's... gonna go get me a pair and check it out!

You have other options too, check out oldsmobiles/GM's, they have round cannister types a bit bigger than a large coffee can that might work too, it does not have to be Jeep one.. go walk around a boneyard and browse..

The bottoms of the box are the same between my 90 RENIX and my 96 with the exception of the thermactor, which can be removed. The top of the boxes are the biggest difference. The tube exits the box in different places and on the RENIX models there are other connections on the box.

Back