• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

1987 XJ Laredo - Power seat connector questions

MoFo

NAXJA Forum User
NAXJA Memorial Lifetime Member
I have a 1987 XJ that has a borken drivers' seat. I want to replace the seats with electric seats form my 1990 XJ Laredo hanger queen.

Is the elecrical harness for the seats already present in a body that does not come with electric seats from the factory? If it is already wired, where can I find the connectors?

TIA

I'm not quite sure that the 'lectric seats were an option on the '87. I just swaped in a 6-way power seat in my passanger side and did not see any plugs or wires under the seat. I ran a hot wire (FUSED) from the fuse panal and grounded it with one of the nuts holding the seat down.

Pigpen said:
I'm not quite sure that the electric seats were an option on the '87. I just swapped in a 6-way power seat in my passenger side and did not see any plugs or wires under the seat. I ran a hot wire (FUSED) from the fuse panel and grounded it with one of the nuts holding the seat down.

Electric seats were available in 87, I have factory OEM electric seats in my Wagoneer Ltd.

I doubt the wires were in all 87's, but you might get lucky and have one that did.

On the stock setup, the same fusible link for the rear window defogger is used for the seats and power door locks. The fuse is a circuit breaker (position 11 counting right to left) right next to the 25 amp rear window defogger fuse position 10.
It depends on the trim level and ordered accessories whether the wires are in there or not. They may stop one connector up stream. But sometimes you get lucky.
The 12 gage brown wire running behind the drivers side kick panel for the rear window defogger would be a good place to look. It seems like the 25 amp fuse and the wire would be big enough. It's doubtful the defogger and the seat would be used much together or for long enough for things to heat up much.
The safest way is to run a new 12 gage hot wire back from the battery, fuse it next to the battery and to be careful how you run it and the sheet metal at the firewall where you go through.
You'd have an extra wire for a CB, amplifier or whatever you may want to add in the future.
I try to avoid using the stock harness for add ons.

Back