• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

I need more head room!!! Help

bubXJ

NAXJA Forum User
I am 6'5" and driving my XJ is a little tight. I am looking for a way to get some more headroom. Is it best to swap in some WJ seats, go with an after market seat, or is there no hope? Any information would be great,

Thanks.

I'm 6'3" and do OK, but I don't wear my cowboy hat while driving :). I've got the electric seats and move them all the way back and down. Maybe I have a little rear tilt in there also. Running a hot wire for the drivers seat, wouldn't be that big of a deal.
The wifes old 87 had manual seats and no tilt, I refused to drive it.
I picked up a used seat (export) with the adjustable headrest for $40 a couple of weeks ago.
My old seat was actually lower, probably the foam and springs were little sagged. GoJeep.com has a writeup about seat repair. He was adding foam, you may want to remove some. Mine wasn't uncomfortable, I just replaced it because it was torn.
A tilt steering wheel and a seat that goes back far enough is just about a must for me. If the XJ had a telescoping steering wheel, I'd move the rails back a couple of more inches.
Maybe an electric seat mounted back a couple of inches, a little seat tilt to the rear and a dished steering wheel? Or just try the electric seat and modify if needed.

Last edited:
get a tilt seat ! im 6'5 270 and i fit comfortably(kind of) with mine rocked back and reclined !if you search on the mod tech i belive that there was a spacer/made mod/done to drop the rear portion to give a little more room the company is no longer in bisness tough!:bawl:

Chop teh roof

bubXJ said:
I am 6'5" and driving my XJ is a little tight. I am looking for a way to get some more headroom. Is it best to swap in some WJ seats, go with an after market seat, or is there no hope? Any information would be great,

Thanks.

I feel your pain, I'm 6'9" and after installing some [FONT=Verdana,Tahoma,Arial,Helvetica,Sans-serif]Misch’s BigBoy Brackets my 1995 XJ is very comfortable to drive. The best part is the look on people's faces when you go through drive through and order from the back window.:doh: [/FONT]

Back