• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Tires

k_kuch

NAXJA Forum User
Any one have any experiences with the BFG Mud-Terrains? Are they a quality tire and do you think they would hold their own in the snow? Do you think the All Terrains would be better? Give me some feedback. Thanks.

Yes, Yes, & Yes. The M/T work for me in the snow. Their all terrains do better in the snow from what I understand.

I have run both. Go with the A/T's. They are not as loud an the highway and will get the job done.

I have BFG M/T's and i love them. I dont have to drive around on the road that much, so they are perfect for me. They dig and they sound awesome on the road. They do suck in the rain and snow. but i will DEF get another set.

Sorry to bring up an old topic. Would a set of 235/75/R15 BFG Muds fit on my stock XJ. I read that a guy could not fit them without rubbing on his 99. I don't believe there should be a problem because there is little difference between 235's and 225's. Will I be alright?

You should be ok, I run BFG a/t's in 235/75r15 on my '98 with no rubbing. I highly recommend BFG tires, 47K on mine and 25%+ tread left.

Both the at's and mt's by BFG are great all around tires. And I agree that the at's are better on the road in rain, slush and most snow.
However, I beleve that in very deep snow on the road and most snow off of the pavement, the M/t' may work better. Kind of the same way that they throw more mud out of the way. Of course, that is just my belief based on my expierence with both tires (in the 235/75/R15 size) on 2 XJ's, and a set of the m/t's on an ancient dodge van (yeah, I was called crazy for putting them on there).
But back to the topic, yes they both work well (for pretty much everything), and the A/T's do better in the snow that you will probally be driving in.

Edit: And yes they both fit just fine on both our '96 and '99 XJ's, even with sagging rear springs.

Is anyone running 31's on a stock XJ. My brother ran 31 swampers on his stock ranger then switched to 33's when he lifted it, so I was wondering if i could put 31" TrXus M/T's without a problem. I know it will be close...

k_kuch said:
Is anyone running 31's on a stock XJ. My brother ran 31 swampers on his stock ranger then switched to 33's when he lifted it, so I was wondering if i could put 31" TrXus M/T's without a problem. I know it will be close...

You might have rubbing issues on the lower CA's if you use stock wheels. Also, the trxus are a true 31" tire, so rubbing on the fenders, ect... can be a problem. IF you want to trim some, I would go that way.

k_kuch said:
How about Swamper Radial SSR's in the size 29/11.50R-15LT? would they fit nicely? Also, are they any good?

Probably end up being too wide.

They are ok tires. IXNAYXJ on here, has gone through 3 or 4 that ended up having baseball to football size buldges in the sidewalls. One just after 200 miles or so, IIRC.

k_kuch said:

I just put 31's on mine yesterday with 3" of lift, and as expected. it rubs the lower control arms at full lock....but other than that no issues. On a stock XJ however, I dont see how 31's would clear it. If memory serves, 30's are about the biggest you can run on a stocker...with minimal to no rubbing.

Keep in mind that I have little knowledge about this what so ever...and that I feel slightly retarded asking such stupid questions. I just don't want to lose what little money I have. Would these tires fit: BFGoodrich Mud-Terrain T/A, LT235/75R15 on stock XJ with stock wheels. Thanks again.

I just put 235/75R15 BFG All Terrains on my '00 XJ with the stock steel wheels and they fit fine. No Rubbing. They look great too! I've owned about 6 sets of these tires on different vehicles and have always been happy with them. I've never gotten less than 50K miles out of them.

Currently running with 235/75/R15 Bridgestone Dueller AT Revos on the broke-down, sagging stock XJ. They're running just fine, no rubbing, even at 90% spring compression.

PO says that the Revos did awesome in the snow, IDK just yet (no snow in July) However, they do perform decently off-pavement....not too bad in the dirt/gravel, but they suck in the mud, just like most A/Ts. Also extremely sticky on the pavement, dry or wet.

Bottom line?? You'll be fine with the 235. Run with them, just know that your speedo/odometer will read 6.5% slower than you're actually going.....

k_kuch said:
Keep in mind that I have little knowledge about this what so ever...and that I feel slightly retarded asking such stupid questions. I just don't want to lose what little money I have. Would these tires fit: BFGoodrich Mud-Terrain T/A, LT235/75R15 on stock XJ with stock wheels. Thanks again.

Absolutely. 235's are just a hair bigger than the size that came on the XJ when it rolled out of the factory. I ran them for 2 years with absolutely no problems what so ever.

235's on mine when I got it-- didn't even realive they weren't stock til I saw it here! will work fine

not to hijack, but has anyone heard of "Ridge Runner M/S" tires? the name is new to me, but so far (4000mi) they seem to be decent. Any good or bad stories??

--Shorty

Back