• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

dumb winch mount question

mojojojo

NAXJA Forum User
so i am an electrical dumb ass! i am mounting my winch up and the wiring is very basic. just one stupid question so i dont fry anything. the lil ground wire from the control box says "ground to motor". where do i hook it to the motor ? where it mounts to the bumper? where the main thick ground wire is ? or ? ? ?

help asap please! cramming for a short day trip tomorrow morning.

What kind of winch? My T-Max had a small wire that grounded to a stud underneath the motor housing. Didn't even know it was there until I checked the wiring diagram.

Ground is ground. You can put it on the negative battery post. Thats what I'd recommend. I think your directions want you to find a bolt on an aternator bracket or another large bolt on the engine block to bolt it too. You engine and chassis are all tied together back at battery negative terminal or ground. Make sure your battery is grounded to the engine and body well if you don't go right to the negative battery terminal with that heavy wire.

TellicoReadyXJ said:
What kind of winch? My T-Max had a small wire that grounded to a stud underneath the motor housing. Didn't even know it was there until I checked the wiring diagram.

its an M8000 (warn).

yes the battery is grounded to the engine block.

there is one thick red wire and one thick black wire, that i know both go directly to the battery.

there is one small lil black wire from the control box that says ground to motor (meaning winch motor) this i know for sure.

so my question is where on the winch motor do i hook it? there are quite a few options, i just want to know which is best?

just my own experience here but when i hooked the large ground wire to the battery my winch wouldnt work. i worked once i moved it to the body. the little wire can be attached to any bolt you want on the engine or body basically

here is a pic of the big ground wire. says right on it warning connect directly to battery
100_1406-1.jpg

this is the little ground from the control box that i am questioning. says "motor ground"
100_1402.jpg

hopefully this will help explain what i'm asking.

ready to mud said:
the little wire can be attached to any bolt you want on the engine or body basically

i assumed it was referring to the winch motor? it is no where close to long enough to reach the engine to ground.

hmm... my buddies mile-marker had a couple that were labled "ground" where that one would go... im sure you have checked ALL around for some metal areas with screws or bolts that look out of place?

Back