• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Parts to build tire carrier bumper?

sjd78

NAXJA Forum User
Not sure if this qualifies as advanced fabrication but I wasnt sure where exactly to post it so sorry if this is the wrong forum. Now that is out of the way...I am looking for a spindle and latch to build a tire carrier rear bumper. I have seen them somewhere before but cannot find them again. Any help in the right direction would be appreciated.

Thanks
Sean...

JeepFreak21 said:
I got one from RockStomper a while back.
Billy

for the hinge..
i used that $45 pos for mine the 1st time..

then i rebuilt it using simple parts i got from a local farm-supply/hardware.

look into (google search) oil-impregnated brass bushings..

you can get them in different nominal sizes i.d. & o.d. to snugly fit into dom tubing then weld the carrier arm onto that, slide a bolt thru the center afix to simple bracketry welded onto a bumper
-and you can even drill and tap the dom for a grease fitting all for around $12..

as for a latch i use a simple pin, thru the carrier arm & through a hole-tab thats welded onto the bumper..
index.php

***by the way if you decide to use oil impregnated brass bushings don't insert them into the tubing until you've already welded the tubing onto it that will serve as the carrier,, the oil in the "oil-impregnated brass bushing" doesn't agree to well with the heat from a welder; in other words the bushing will catch fire!!
-don't ask me how i know this
;)

-

Last edited:
JLane99XJ said:
for the hinge..
i used that $45 pos for mine the 1st time..

then i rebuilt it using simple parts i got from a local farm-supply/hardware.

look into (google search) oil-impregnated brass bushings..

you can get them in different nominal sizes i.d. & o.d. to snugly fit into dom tubing then weld the carrier arm onto that, slide a bolt thru the center afix to simple bracketry welded onto a bumper
-and you can even drill and tap the dom for a grease fitting all for around $12..

as for a latch i use a simple pin, thru the carrier arm & through a hole-tab thats welded onto the bumper..
index.php

***by the way if you decide to use oil impregnated brass bushings don't insert them into the tubing until you've already welded the tubing onto it that will serve as the carrier,, the oil in the "oil-impregnated brass bushing" doesn't agree to well with the heat from a welder; in other words the bushing will catch fire!!
-don't ask me how i know this
;)

-

What was wrong with the rockstomper $45 hinge that made you change it?

I used a car door two stage latch. Single finger open and slam shut, works great, the slam shut is awesome. For the hinge get the biggest spindle you can, mine is 40mm across at the bottom and smaller at the top (two different sized bearings) it's not a trailer spindle and hub but a full car size spindle (Large family car). The smaller trailer spindles dont cut it here in Australia and we dont even use them on the trailers ;) The dont last with the corrugations.

Cheers
Steve

Back