• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Need some opinions on my upcoming 3" lift purchase.

newjeepowner

NAXJA Forum User
I have decided to upgrade my suspension on my 99 XJ. I decided on a 3" lift. I have been looking at the lift packages on Quadratec.com
I was leaning towards the Skyjacker lift with fully new leaf springs. Kit runs around $780.

I have been also bouncing in and out of the local 4X4 shop to get prices from them for parts and install. He was saying labor around $550. I decided to try and do this lift myself to save the $$$$.

Anyway I mentioned that I was leaning towards the Skyjacker kit. He said the springs tend to soften over time on Skyjacker. He would sell me a set if I wanted. But he recommended BDS.

Now I am confused. BDS is more expensive of course. Who is having good luck with Skyjacker? Anyone else running another brand that is good and around $800. with springs and shocks?

Go with either Rusty's or RE. I'd recommend rusty's from personal experience, and the price. You can't beat it!

I duno about skyjacker. Haven't heard good things about them, but never had anything from them and no one I wheel with runs anything from them.

I run a Rusty's 3" on my 88. It is the spring kit with new leave and coils. Came with shocks. I think they are around $400 now. It is a fairly simple install. Just be careful of the brake lines and disconnect the front sway bar until you are done. You can rent a coil spring compressor to make it easier.

I pieced mine together. RE springs $320 rearand $175 front, JKS diconects $120, tomken track bar $160,BDS Shocks $150,and skyjacker transfer case drop kit $30.I kind of researched and got advise from all my friends etc. and went with components that were recomended. Everyone always says I like this part but not this on maybe that one is better. SO i just peiced it up.
Payed alittle more but I think I got the best of all worlds $955.00

I couldn't be happier. had for about 2 years now.

OME 3" lift....throw in some pucks up front and the 6th leaf from OME or a jks boomerang shackle in the rear if you need to level it out....

Hard to beat OME shocks too...

You can get some YJ brake lines for cheap instead of spending $100 for some braided SS lines...

From a previous Rustys customer to a now strictly RE customer:

I would not purchase a lift from Rustys. The only product issues I had worth mentioning were coils that sagged very early. Trust me when I say they lived a pampered life. I will never spend another dime supporting his company though for the sh!ta$$ service I got the last time I spent 60ish bones on shackles (after buying 2 of his lifts). I have since gone RE and never been happier. I wouldn't think of another company for suspension.

I just got my '96 XJ finished. Went with OME medium load package with new coils, packs & shocks ($779). Added a OME stabilizer($65), and JKS adjustable trackbar($209). You simply cannot beat the ride. It is better than the day it left the factory. I am a very happy customer:D

I'd go with OME or RE Superflex (3.5) depending on how much you want to spend, you can a RE Superride (also 3.5) for around 580-604 depending on where you look. I'd probably get an RE with OME shocks if you wanted a 3.5 in. lift.

the skyjacker is a fine lift and INSTALER FREIDLY so dont waste time on any thing else YOU GET WHAT YOU PAY FOR so just remember that spend the $$$$$ and get GOOOOOOOOOOD stuff

I ordered my kit today. Bought the Rubicon Express Superflex 3.5 lift with the Rubicon Express shocks and transfer case lowering kit. Is there anything else I am missing? The superflex kit comes with an extended rrear brake hose.

Back