• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

YJ shocks with 3 inch lift?

Motorvated

NAXJA Forum User
Putting a 3 inch lift on the XJ this coming week...but i need shocks. Its not gonna be on long, kind of the "middle stage". Anyway I have heard that stock YJ shocks can be used on a XJ with a 3 inch lift. Is that true? If not, what shocks should I use for the XJ?

if your goin cheap get procraps. you can get a set of four for like 99 bucks

hey man thanks for the tires, anyway you can use mj comanche stock replacment shocks in the rear, which would be good for a 3 or so inch lift, you can grab them at pep boys or autozone I did it and it works good the shocks dont bottom out before the leafs reach full flex. Check out http://www.rocklizardfabrications.com/home_brew_budget_boost.htm
read the article they use stock replacments from a zj up country for the front.
Chris

Motorvated said:
BTW I tried the search on them...and kind of came up with nothing. Will MJ front shocks work as well, or just the rears?

If you think about it, the front of the XJ and MJ are the same, the difference between the two is the SUA and SOA. Therefor, the front of the XJ and MJ are identical and the shocks would be the same

As for the YJ shocks, let me say it's a bitch. I have them on mine but I used BPE's and a 22 ton press.you may be able to use a vice but you are gona need some patience because those stock metal sleeves are a royal pain the arse. once you get them out (uning a lot of grease/lube and sockets and stub punches) you can ge the BPE's in and call it a day. they ride good, nothing special but better than my stocks and they work for up to 4" lifts. I paid 17 each for mine but I should have just gotten some others because the work was a pain and others would have rode better (gas charged that is)

True....I wasnt thinking logicly. Ill pick up some MJ rears and figure out the front. Maybe those UPCOUNTRY shocks will do the trick for the front. The lift is outside now, as the paint dries.

no, those shocks wont be enough. just get the YJ shocks and put a little work into them. It's not THAT bad of a deal. They work great and they look like OME too! just a lit thinner...

your jeep would fold like a taco. watch out.

actually it might limit your up travel and not really let your lift flex, the ride WOULD suck, I had stock shocks on my 3.5" lift and they didnt fit well.

Back