• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Pipe coming out of the left of the water pump.

glennv

NAXJA Forum User
I have a 98 4.0L and the pipe coming off the top left of the water pump has sprung a leak. Is there a replacement part for this or will I have to just plumb a new line? Is it possible to do this without taking the pump out?

The area to work in is rather tight quarters...,but with care and patience you should be able to remove the pipe fitting....
Once you remove the fitting; inspect for corrosion. You may be lucky and just be able to reseal the threads with teflon tape....

A simple fix is to use a threaded nipple from the hardware store and run a new rubber hose to the heater. Or you can splice it to the existing rubber hose.

i was able to change the pipe on my '96 without taking the pump off. i took the valve cover off instead, it gave me enough room to turn the angled pipe around and around to remove/install. the vc gasket was leaky anyway, otherwise i would have just pulled the pump off. my pipe was all rotted out around the base.

So you would use Teflon? I did that for my 90 XJ and this didn't help at all. It leaks out of the area where it screws in. What would I use to seal this up?

megabyte5689 said:
So you would use Teflon? I did that for my 90 XJ and this didn't help at all. It leaks out of the area where it screws in. What would I use to seal this up?

Remove pipe nipple.
Clean threads (if necessary. Inspect, anyhow.)
Install new pipe nipple. PTFE paste is advised.

I know the RENIX nipples are threaded 3/8" NPT, so you can get a new nipple from the local hardware store. I would find it reasonable to assume that later models are the same - most domestic vehicles I've seen use 3/8" NPT for that thread. Brass nipples are advised - eliminates rust, and less corrosion.

He's instructing you to abandon the pipe, run a longer hose to a new brass nipple. The dealership sells new pipes for about 15 bucks, and yes you have to remove the pump to install.

I installed one this weekend, no sealant of any kind. I don't, however, reccomend this for everyone .

megabyte5689 said:
It's not the nipple, its the whole pipe!
Since you have a 1990 yours is just a straight pipe, I would either do what 5-90 said and get a brass nipple or do what goodburbon said and get a pipe from a 91+ XJ that is longer and bent. The pipe on your 1990 is a worthless design in my opinion since it puts that hose at a bend and dangerously close to the idler pulley. Yes though, use teflon tape to seal it up and thread it down as far as it will go.

If it is leaking it may be crossthreaded. In that case, you will either need to tap the old pump for larger threads or replace the pump. For the $30 for the pump I would replace it.

Either teflon tape or paste will work nicely, whichever you happen to have on hand -- pressure here is a fraction of house plumbing. I've used both plumbing my vehicles and my home for many years and never had either one leak.

Back