• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Smittybilt XRC8 Winch

racer32

NAXJA Forum User
Well I bit the bullet and ordered a Smittybilt XRC8 Winch. $288 and some change shipped. I figured at that price, if its a POS I'll mount it to the trailer and save for something else. Here are the pics:

Nice Box... fell apart as soon as the strapping came off...
SM__0590.jpg

Nice styrofoam packing too... :eek:
SM__0591.jpg

This is my first winch so I cant tell if the solenoids are good or not...
SM__0593.jpg

Remote is not too bad. Feels fairly solid and the buttons are ok. LEDs supposedly light up next to the buttons too
SM__0594.jpg

SM__0596.jpg

Standard roller fairlead...standard hook
SM__0597.jpg

Front View
SM__0589.jpg

Bottom View
SM__0598.jpg

Any questions feel free to ask or if you want to look at the high res pics...

I did the same thing for the exact same reasons. Figure I'll mount it on my trailer if it sucks on one of my backup rigs. Got mine for 270 + 30 shipping and it arrived after eight weeks the same way yours did: box falling apart with styrofoam everywhere. Even one of the two solenoid mounting bolts had fallen off and out of the box. Completely opposite experience as the Warn M8000 I bought last year in terms of packaging.

So what does the bumper look like Jess???
I almost called you last night. Tyler bought an RM 125 from a guy off school rd.
But it was late and I was in a hurry to get home to mama....

FWIW, I read on an Australian forum that these Chinese winches are pretty stout IF you do a couple of things. They recommend loading it up with a higher quality grease and resoldering the main connections in the solenoid box as these were both weak points.

At that price point, you're only paying about $90-100 more than the vendor did, prior to shipping. Not a bad deal if it works out for you.

XJOFFROAD said:
where did you guys buy them from? perfect setup for my trailer

4wd hardware.

The 4wheeldrivehardware store near me advertised them at 299 for a big sale they were having this past weekend so off I went. I get there and was told they couldn't get them and had no idea when they would actually hit the stores. :sure: I went home and looked at their website, called customer service who said they do have them ready to ship so I ordered one over the phone, it should ship today.

It's nice to see some cheaper winches coming out. I know they aren't quite the quality of a warn, but for less than half the price it seems they are well worth the cost.

The only complaints I've seen on these units are from Warn fanboys who haven't seen or used one. We'll have to see how they hold up in the long run.

I would imagine they will work out pretty well for the weekend wheeler. I'm glad to see people buying them, folks tend to be wary of a new product until someone proves them good.

Everyone was the same way about the T-Max when they came out, now they're highly recommended.

TellicoReadyXJ said:
Everyone was the same way about the T-Max when they came out, now they're highly recommended.

And made in China. It proves that the right marketing can overcome anything.

They put all the spin on"designed in Australia, tested in Australia, made in China, abused in Australia"......

I'd buy one.

Last edited:
one of the guys on Pirate tested his with is JK. Hooked the cable to his Amigo and Waggy that were tied together, chocked the wheels on both vehicles, e brake on, 4 wheel locked in and it drug them over the wheel chocks with no problems. I'm considering getting one.

Weasel said:
one of the guys on Pirate tested his with is JK. Hooked the cable to his Amigo and Waggy that were tied together, chocked the wheels on both vehicles, e brake on, 4 wheel locked in and it drug them over the wheel chocks with no problems. I'm considering getting one.

Do you have a link to that thread by chance? I'd like to check it...

Not yet, I'm going to be building my bumpers in the next month or so though...

I have used mine a few times now and it works great!!! My brother xalexjx has used his alot and it works great! It pulled him up a 50ft incline that was not wheelable, tired 20 times or so to make it over the obstical and had to winch! The battery ran out of juce b4 the winch did:scottm:
Here are some pics of my winch and his in action, the obstical i spoke of is not the one pictured but the winch yanked his xj right up this without a hickup:

HPIM7680.jpg

HPIM7682.jpg

HPIM7683.jpg

and my winch:
HPIM7641.jpg

HPIM7645.jpg

HPIM7649.jpg

HPIM7646.jpg

HPIM7647.jpg

HPIM7648.jpg

Mine is mounted via reciver mount... I dont have any pics on photobucket of it though...
Hope this helps any one who is looking to buy one! It workes perfect for me as i only use it every now and again. Deff not a warn winch but a cheap one that almost every one can aford! Way better than HF winch and is cheaper. I got mine with 15% discount so it was only 260 including S+H!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:cool:

I wonder if warn's patent ran out on their 8K...looks VERY similar to it.

Back