• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Say it ain't so: OEM XJ D44 rear vent fitting is PLASTIC??

XpedientJ

NAXJA Forum User
I don't know what the XJ D44s had, originally, for a vent-tube fitting, but.... since I did not have a thread size, and wanted to ensure that I had the correct piece...I ordered the part from a local Jeep dealer. Much to my surprise, and dismay, the piece turned out to be a plastic/nylon push-in..! Worse, yet, it even has two small holes at the base, below the hose stop...

The problem is...that the D44 I purchased (with Superior axles, 4:56 gears, OX locker.....) had been sitting for a bit, and the vent hole had been left open, with some debris plugging it. I couldn't determine, given the corrosion around the hole, whether or not there are/were threads.

Can anyone confirm what SHOULD have been in there, originally?? I'm inclined to just thread it, if I don't find threads in cleaning it further, and install a metal nipple. I certainly can't see myself using this plastic push-in...:)

yep, weak plastic, drain and spary with parts cleaner, refill.

I got a nipple from advanced. can't remember size, but no drilling, just straight tap the hole.

4voxpjc.jpg

XpedientJ said:
I don't know what the XJ D44s had, originally, for a vent-tube fitting, but.... since I did not have a thread size, and wanted to ensure that I had the correct piece...I ordered the part from a local Jeep dealer. Much to my surprise, and dismay, the piece turned out to be a plastic/nylon push-in..! Worse, yet, it even has two small holes at the base, below the hose stop...

The problem is...that the D44 I purchased (with Superior axles, 4:56 gears, OX locker.....) had been sitting for a bit, and the vent hole had been left open, with some debris plugging it. I couldn't determine, given the corrosion around the hole, whether or not there are/were threads.

Can anyone confirm what SHOULD have been in there, originally?? I'm inclined to just thread it, if I don't find threads in cleaning it further, and install a metal nipple. I certainly can't see myself using this plastic push-in...:)

Back