• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

How much tranny fluid is lost when...

TheEddie

NAXJA Forum User
How much tranny fluid is lost when you drain it from the drain plug? 3qts? 4qts?

I plan on doing the routine drain and fill regularly to keep the fluid fresh and I just need to know how much I should grab..

Thanks

It (most any manual you check) says 4 but all of mine have been closer to 3 or 3.5....

After you drain it, pour it into an old empty bottle of windshield washer fluid. They are exactly 1 gallon (4 qts) so you will be able to guesstimate the amount that came out.

Nine Mile said:
It (most any manual you check) says 4 but all of mine have been closer to 3 or 3.5....

After you drain it, pour it into an old empty bottle of windshield washer fluid. They are exactly 1 gallon (4 qts) so you will be able to guesstimate the amount that came out.

Perfect, thanks!

I installed a larger B&M tranny cooler and then drained and refilled my transmission. I had to put in 5 probably because of this. Remember to check your fluid level when it is at operating temperature and in neutral while idling. Also, on a level surface.

:compwork:

when i release just the drain screw i got 3.5 quarts. but when i took the pan down it was more. mike

YMMV, but in my experience it's ~3.5 quarts when you just pull the plug, and ~4 when you drop the whole pan.

Back