• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Tranny Trouble

Fourxfour79

NAXJA Forum User
Hey All. I've got a problem with my trans. I have a 94 xj 6cy auto trans that feels like it's slipping. I just replaced the t-case (used np231), front and rear drive shafts because my last t-case grenaded. Now the trans feels like it's slipping on starts from dead stops. I didn't want to push it too hard when I felt this so I haven't gone over 25mph yet. I wonder if it doesn't just some fluid added (assuming that the shifting mechanisms are hydrolically driven). Any suggestions would be appreciated. I need is sooner than later and don't think I'm up for a rebuild (either to do it myself or to pay to have it done...I'm kinda strapped like every other jeeper).
Thanx in advance!

This sounds awfully familiar!
In my case, it was another two weeks of mild city driving and it wouldn't go anymore....needed a new transmission. :(

Well, I wouldn't rely on this forever but if you're desperate you could give a bottle of Lucas Transmission Fix a shot. A long time ago my GFs Ford Taurus was shifting so hard that it almost hurt to ride in it, clunking horribly and seemed to be only days before it would bite the dust. I drained about a quart of fluid and put the stuff in, and the shifting really smoothed out over a few miles. It wasn't flawless, but infinitely better than it had been, and it lasted another 10K miles or so and was still going when the engine bit the dust. I will not say it "fixed" the tranny (because it wasn't completely broken to begin with), but it certainly helped and at only 8 bucks it could be worth a shot.

And before you tear everything apart, I'd just double check the TPS, as I thought I had serious tranny trouble a few years back due to it slipping when slowing down and weird gear decisions, but it was a bad TPS.

Also check the throttle-transmission cable which is often incorrectly called the kickdown cable. If it's way off you'll get sloppy shifting. If you add or change fluid, it's Dexron III and not ATF4+ like the dealer or auto chain stores like to tell people (ATF4+ causing slipping).

Does it take off normal with the shifter in (1-2)? Try unplugging the Transmission control computer and manualling shifting with the shifter. If that's normal, the problem is on the electrical side of the house with the problem ranging from a simple blown fuse to the TCU, to a bad TPS sensor, to a bad shift solenoid in the tranny.

Back