• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

noisy valve

the_bandit87

NAXJA Forum User
well for as long as I can remember I have had a in the engine that has been getting gradually worse, but not by very much. The other day while doing a tune up I decided to pull the valve cover (which had a leaking cork gasket anyways) and while it was off to listen to the rocker arms with a length of hose. From what I can see noise is coming from cylinder #3, particularlily the exhaust valve. The noise is on the Valve side, so I am not really sure that its a lifter anymore. The jeep is my daily driver so I don't really want to do anything with the lifters, since I would have to pull the head. Its just sort of a click/tap, I wouldn't call it a knock so I don't think its a bottom end problem, but I am really not sure why it would come from the valve side of the rocker arm. The plug from that cylinder has nothing wrong with it, and never really has. The other thing is, do you think it would be worth it to replace the springs, pushrods, and rockers for that cylinder?

Mine had a lifter that would tap. An old trick to help a lifter is to add a pint of tranny fluid to your oil. It works its way into the clogged lifter easier and sometime will unplug it in time.

I've heard of tight valve guide causing one or more valves to "snap shut"....just a thought.

Try this:With the valve cover off and engine running place your hand ontop of the rocker arm(careful!!),what this will do is take up any excess lash,if it quiets down than you know you have excess clearance due to a weak valve spring or collapsed lifter...

Do you have a 2.5L or a 4.0L? On the 2.5L, you can replace the lifter without pulling the head. I'm not sure about the 4.0L. Most parts stores will also loan the puller. That is where I would start.

Back