• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Thule Load Bar Options

cshontz

NAXJA Forum User
I need to install load bars on my XJ for a roof top tent. I'm leaning toward the Thule gutter mount setup, but my only concern is how high this setup is over the roof line. I'd prefer it if the load bars were lower profile.

Thule's vehicle look-up guide shows different options, but doesn't show pictures or dimensions. For instance, is there a Thule system that uses the factory rails, is strong enough, and slightly lower than the gutter mount setup?

This isn't my XJ, but a picture I found on the web of an XJ with the Thule gutter mount setup. It'd be nice if those load bars were 2" lower. See what I'm talking about?

Roof top tents are pretty large, even when folded up. The lower I can get this thing, the better.

grinrig.jpg

I've been using the Thule setup that replaces the factory bars but I don't have a tent on it, just a ski carrier. Those bars are really strong. I used to sell Thule stuff at a ski shop I worked at and know what you're talking about. The gutter mount stuff is tall. I've never seen anything shorter that what your picture shows. They used to cover many models with those feet, hence the height. Now they're doing lots of model specific stuff, sort of. Anyway, for strength, the gutter mount system is great, but kinda tall.
IMG_1644.jpg

Thule factory kit I have, just a little shorter than the gutter setup. Hope that helps

if you are going to put a roof top tent on there I would definitely go with the gutter mounts and double them up, like four bar instead of two. I believe the two bars are only rated at 150lbs for the gutter mounts, and will be more secure than the little rev-nuts that hold the factory roof rac on. The factory roof rack mounts are fine for things like coolers, bikes, skis, thule bullets, etc. but when you start throwing heavy bulky stuff and it needs to support your own a$$, I would get the strongest system avail.

If both kinds hold the same weight, then I would go with the ones that go onto the stock tracks if you wheel in the woods.

I have a set of thule bars and the gutter mounts. They're plenty strong for the stuff I use em for (couple kayaks, skis/snowboards, few bikes, canoe, and heavy furniture, etc.), but I've had the lock part get hung up on trees a few times and it pulls the mount back on the gutter. It was fixable, didn't ruin anything...but it's not ideal.

It's probably not that big of an issue for most, but there is this one go-around for a pretty much impossible obstacle that gets me every time. And ofcourse I don't have the keys with me, so I just try not to hit it...

Anyways, that's the only downside to the gutter mount ones that I know of.

mjma said:
If both kinds hold the same weight, then I would go with the ones that go onto the stock tracks if you wheel in the woods.

I have a set of thule bars and the gutter mounts. They're plenty strong for the stuff I use em for (couple kayaks, skis/snowboards, few bikes, canoe, and heavy furniture, etc.), but I've had the lock part get hung up on trees a few times and it pulls the mount back on the gutter. It was fixable, didn't ruin anything...but it's not ideal.

It's probably not that big of an issue for most, but there is this one go-around for a pretty much impossible obstacle that gets me every time. And ofcourse I don't have the keys with me, so I just try not to hit it...

Anyways, that's the only downside to the gutter mount ones that I know of.

I have the gutter mounts on my XJ and have run into the same problem, that why now I take them off before I wheel. Remember the factory roof rack mounts are only held in by rev-nuts to sheet metal. The other big thing you need to worry about, is the load bars bending. I built a roof mount tire carrier for my spare 33 on a steel wheel a couple of years ago and it put a slight bow in the load bars, and that was only an additonal 100lbs (tire, wheel, carrier). Just imagine what you plus the tent is going to be up there. Is you want to run a roof top tent, look to see what the tent manufacture suggests, don't half a$$ it.

I would take them off to wheel but I can never find the one key that I have for the locks when I need to!! GRR

Back