• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

where do you guys put your spares.

bl87xj

NAXJA Forum User
O.K. I got the 33's on. Still only have the mini spare. I would like to track down a stock rim and put a full size spare, but not sure where to carry the dang thing.

How big of a tire will fit in the stock location, inside.

Was thinking of getting a JCR rear with carrier..but those are pretty 'spendy. Also not real happy about loosing rear window views.

Give me some ideas.

The only other place to keep an oversize spare is up on top. I have the stock 27” spare inside and two cans under the seat.

I've got a swing-arm aftermarket bumper I keep mine on (Tomken). Because I welded it on instead of bolting it up, it'll support AT LEAST 36" muddies, guaranteed.

A 30x9.5 is tight but will fit, some 31's if they are wore out some will fit, anything bigger than that needs to go up on the top on a good solid rack or on the back on a good tire carrier.

bl87xj said:
Was thinking of getting a JCR rear with carrier..but those are pretty 'spendy. Also not real happy about loosing rear window views.

from the pics of jcrs bumper it doesn't seem like you would lose that much out of your rear view. or at least not as much as other bumpers like rigid co.

One problem with the rear mount other than loosing your rear view is hanging it up when you drop off a shelf or going through a deep ditch.

I've got a 32" spare in the back of my 96. The seat doesn't latch on that side...but ohwell. It latched with a 31" spare in there.

On my other jeep I have the seat folded down...kinda permanently, and a 35" spare rachet strapped to the floor.

A friend has this big wooden box in the cargo area of his XJ, it's pretty nice, with compartments and such, and he's got a bunch of spare shafts hose clamped under the lid and such. Pretty nice box. Then he's got his 33 sitting on top of that, going into the back seat area just a tad. I'm thinking of doing something like this so that I can have passengers in the rear if I want. You don't lose as much visibility as you do with a tire carrier on the rear, but then you do have to remove the spare every time you want to access your tools.

I have my 30x15 laying down behind the seat. No clearance issues. I plan on building a box around the tire with areas for parts/tools with a lid so even the tire is concealled. The box will only be slighly higher than the tire is wide so that I still have enough cargo room and not have projectiles hitting the rear seat passengers during daily driving.

IF I go bigger I might consider a large spare mounted elsewhere. I dont like loosing rear visability and dont have a roof rack and dont plan on mounting one. Most likely will keep the 30" spare as I dont plan on running too large of a tire (32'ish).

Jon

Would you rather make your Jeep more topheavy than it already is, or lose some rear visibility?

Fold the back seat down or take it out completely, then put the spare right behind the front seats. Unless, of course, you need the back seat.

For my trail rig I don't carry a spare. I carry some tire repair tools, and OBA... it's got runflats(for now) anyway so I'm not that worried about it.

When I go big on the XJ, I'll most likely build a tire carrier on the rear bumper. I like the look of it on the roof, but not the hassle.

On the rear, far enough to one side that I can still see behind me. it just barely clears the hatch when I need to open it (because its not swung out as far as it could be, being to one side) but it does clear.

315/75/16

dsc00042.jpg

Couple cans of fix a flat and a plug kit in the Heep.....and a full size spare in the bed of the MJ since it's my DD.

i just strap it down in the back area but i only carry it on the trail when im just on the road i would have to run over one hell of a nail to get a flat

Back