• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

New nss problems?

WVXJ

NAXJA Forum User
I got a new one put on the 96'/4.0/242/aw4, the problem comes with the adjustment, and yes i searched. I understand how to adjust, but no matter which way i turn it with the jeep in reverse, the back up lights stay on, so i don't know when its out of adjustment. The guy i bought it from had grounded the relay in the pdc. I took that out, replaced with new, did away with the ground wire, replaced nss, now it won't start, and reverse lights stay on no matter which way i adjust the switch. Any ideas???? thanks in advance guys/gals

I understand it should be adjusted in neutral to line up with the neutral standard line, but there are no lines on the new switch, so i thought i would try someone elses suggestion of adjusting while in reverse and taking note of where the lights come on and where they go off, but they don't go off, no matter how far i turn the switch in either direction...............

must look for diagram..
it's not possible to have plugged it in or mounted it backwards is it?
Mine is older, so I am guessing.
If the mount is not keyed could it have been put in upside down? I say that because the shaft that operates mine is linear, if the switch could turn 180 on it, it wouldn't care.
Will the plug go on only one way?
Is this the round three pin switch?

Last edited:
this is the nss that's on the passenger side of the trans. Most of the threads i've looked at say that the switch needs to be adjusted so that the reverse lights work, however no matter which way i turn the switch, or how far, the lights stay on. Some come with a neutral standard line on them, which would help, but mine did not, which is why i'm trying to adjust it using the reverse lights as a sort of guide. Now it won't start, so i've been using the screwdriver on the starter technique, which sucks............

Back