• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Another Aussie noise question w/ a twist (warn hubs/GW 44)....

uncc civilengineer

NAXJA Forum User
Here's my setup:

91 Grand Waggy 44
Yukon 5.13's
Warn Premium Hubs
Aussie locker
(all built by Nick)

Here's my situation/question:

I go wheeling, lock the hubs, put it in 4wd and everything functions perfectly normal and fine. While crusing on the trail I take it out of 4wd BUT leave the hubs locked... Im getting somewhat of a racheting noise but a little different (sometimes sounds more violent to me)..

When I unlock the hubs... no more noise (to be expected)..

The 760's are mostly new and look good, I doubt it's the DS, so would this noise be expected?

It just bothers me, might be b/c im coming from a PT No-slip that was silent? Just want to get other's opinons... Leaving for Tellico tomorrow so......

Chris

If anything in the front is spinning, it's normal for the Aussie to make a ratcheting noise. In my experience the D44 one tended to be a bit louder than the D30 model. Usually it doesn't feel noticeable when driving, sometimes it does in sharper corners.

I am starting to hate mine while offroad, it makes all kinds of noises and kinda worries me. In 2wd it already clicks normal, but on sharp turns will start poping violently..Aussie said my housing may be bent, lol yeah okay.

Yeah I wouldn't worry, its just enough for me to want a selectable when I build my next axle.

Thats par for the course, my Aussie drives me nuts on the road, makes me happy off the road. I'll live with the noise until I win the lottery or my kids quit taking all of my money. If either of those things happen I'll buy selectables.

My front D30 Aussie in a non disconnect axle is absolutely silent in 2wd and I never hear it in 4wd. Only noise it ever makes is when I brake hard while turning in the rain in 2wd. It senses the slip and locks the front end causing the tires to chatter and the front end to wash out. As long as I dont drive it like an autocrosser in the rain this never happens.

I just put one in the rear D44 (took out the mini spool) and its noisy as all get out. I have had it in for about two weeks and it is getting a bit quieter but its always going to ratchet. Thats OK with me, its not annoying to me anymore but it does make people look (probably thinking I have something wrong) when I am in parking lots.

John

Back