• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Ignition Key Stuck In Run position HELP !!!

1989cherokee

NAXJA Forum User
I hope you guy's can help me, my 89 is running it's over a 100 degrees:flame: and i can't turn it off ! the switch will not turm back to the off position. I called the local dealer and was told to go buy a new lock cylinder and key from NAPA because he could not sell me one because of the age of the Jeep ? How hard is it to replace the cylinder assembly?
Thanks
89cherokee

if you just need to shut it down pull the wire out off the coil, watch the end tho it'll shock the shit outta you :D then pull the pos cable off the battery to keep it from draining. the lock cylinder is easy enough to replace but you have to be able to turn it to get it out of there as far as i know. you need napa part number KS6634
99988.jpg

hope this helps you a little bit.

-mike

(i work at napa :D )

3 letters... BFH!

Thanks for all the help guy's. I got it turned off, but it is not a simple job to replace the lock cylinder. you have to take the whole steering column apart.:explosion
Thanks Mike from NAPA , i will get the part from you

you only need to remove the steering wheel and the internals behind it. you will need a spring compressor and a wheel puller. both of wich I got at napa when my did just what yours did. its not a tough job... just be sure to take things apart slowly and to keep everything in the order you remove it. Honestly this problem is how I found and joined naxja

How are you making out? Are you sure it's the lock that is stuck and not the ignition switch down the column? Our switch melted, key wouldn't turn, but luckily it was in the off postion at the time, not running like yours. Apparently it got real hot during a trip (no symptoms) and when we parked for the night the contacts melted into the plastic of the switch body in the off position.

Back