• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Neutral Safety Switch Removal

cdw25271

NAXJA Forum User
I was wanting to see if most NSS's stick to the shaft and are hard to get off. I made a tool to pull it off the shaft over the weekend and wanted to see if anyone else would be interested in one or the details of it.

cdw25271 said:
I was wanting to see if most NSS's stick to the shaft and are hard to get off. I made a tool to pull it off the shaft over the weekend and wanted to see if anyone else would be interested in one or the details of it.
Yeah most are. Details would be nice, I don't know if you'll have a whole lot of buyers though.

cdw25271 said:

I would be. I have to do this shortly. Wanna PM me?

thanks,

NM

The threads of the nut on the NSS is metric. 16mm 1.5 pitch (fine thread) I welded a 16mm nut to a 3/4" rod coupling, had to shorten the rod coupling 3/4". This fits over a 16mm bolt so it can't damage threads on NSS. Then used a 3/4" x 2" bolt to screw in the rod coupling to pull it off the shaft. I know a picture is worth a thousand words but I don't know how to post one on here.

The threads of the nut on the NSS is metric. 16mm 1.5 pitch (fine thread) I welded a 16mm nut to a 3/4" rod coupling, had to shorten the rod coupling 3/4". This fits over a 16mm bolt so it can't damage threads on NSS. Then used a 3/4" x 2" bolt to screw in the rod coupling to pull it off the shaft. I know a picture is worth a thousand words but I don't know how to post one on here.
make the above puller before you pry on anything!!!!

Old thread- but I have been reviewing NSS Removal since mine is really really on there (as most seem to be) Wisconsin Corrosion + 16 years+ delicate part. I tried the common "pry on the nut" method that has alot of prais actually only to pull off one of the collett's threaded quarters. Had I seen this post- I would have made the above puller which would exhaust all chances of uneven pressure and breakage. Certainly the best chance to not break upon removal if there is any chance at all that I have seen in my oppinion. Basically the item listed above is like a motorcycle flywheel puller.

(I initially tried to just pull it by hand- no... Then used screw drivers prying from behind... then found the "pry on the nut" threads- pulled 1/4 of the threaded collet off... did not continue at attempts taking it off... I just adjusted the NSS so it starts in Park and neutral well. NO Reverse lights yet... Maybe when I am committed to breaking the NSS- but I will probably get a manual switch for the reverse lights.== Now I see this- and have confidence it may have worked- but I am not going to try it with 1/4 of my threads gone...)

kudos to cdw25271 7 years later:cheers:

Back