• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

99 Sagging Driver's Door

tlilley

NAXJA Forum User
Hello all;

I’m trying to find some info on how to fix my 99 XJ door hinge. My driver’s door upper hinge is loose. I.e. there is a lot of play when open and I have to lift it when I close the door. I called the dealer to see if there is a rebuild kit or “pin/bushing” Kit but there is nothing listed for the 1999 model year. They only list a complete hinge for my ’99. I would hate to have to cut off the hinge when the welds on the body are fine if I could just replace a pin and bushing like the older XJs.

I did a search here and all I found was info on how to reattach the door hinge by welding after it pulled away from the body or pin kits for the older 88-96 XJs. I'm hoping I can just replace the pin or bushing or both. Does anyone know it there is a pin kit for the ’99? And if so, what is the part #.

Thanks for any info,

tlilley

My 99 FSM makes no mention of a hinge pin kit (the 95 does, in detail), so I suspect there really isn't one.

As a temporary measure, you might be able to adjust the hinge itself to take up the slack. One possibility would be to remove the shim from that hinge, and for severe sag even to move that shim to the lower hinge. I've done that with the older style with some success. You have to watch out not to overdo it, or the door gaps will be uneven when it's closed. Try just taking out the upper shim first. If it helps, but looks as if it could use more, then put the shim in the bottom. The shims use slotted holes, so you can take them in and out without removing the hinge. Another possibility might be simply to loosen the bolts slightly on the one hinge, and see if you can move it up a little to take up some of the slack in the pin. But I'd try the shim first. Make sure when you do any of this that you don't upset the horizontal adjustment of the hinge too much, because if you do, the door edge can catch on the fender. A second set of strong arms to hold the door can help a lot.

Back