• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Cargo Storage

TORX

NAXJA Forum User
NAXJA Member
After talking to some of you at NWF I realized I need a more secure/safer way of carrying my stuff (tool box, action packer, box of fluids, camping gear). Having everything drift around in the back and bounce with every bump you hit gets annoying, so im looking to upgrade. I see three options I can take...

A) Upgrade the factory tie downs, and use a small cargo net with ratchet straps
B) Build a storage box that bolts to the floor
C) Build a shelf that sits below the rear windows (what im currently leaning towards)

I see pros and cons with each setup so im curious what you guys use? What would you change/recommend?

Do you use the back seat? Taking it out creates a lot of opportunity.

Running eyebolts through the floor and in more than the 4 corners gives you lots of options.

I run a large cargo box mounted to the floor where the rear seat used to be and that carries shafts (axle and drive) along with long tools and recovery gear. Tools and other stuff all goes in bags that are easy to tie down and can be color coded for the items inside (orange is rescue/first aid, blue is tools, red is spare parts).

Looking for creative spaces for odd things is kinda fun. My spare tire is mounted to the floor and the spare tie rod is under it, the raingear is on the wheel and the whole thing is under a spare cover. Soft stuff can be rkept in storage hammocks that run along your rear windows.

Brake fluid, power steering fluid, spare yokes and short shafts can be kept under the hood.

I've found that you just need to spend a Saturday staring at all your crap on the garage floor and look at how it will go in.

This is how I have set mine up. Its a little messy the pics were taken after a winchfest outing.
Looking forward from the hatch.

Looking back with the seat down. Sit is normally up.

Mine is similar to the above pic's and would do it the same again if I was to re-do anything.

I like haveing the spare tire retained below the shelf so that it is easily accesible, and the other items stay clean when a muddy flat tire goes in it's place;)

I also have a box that fits perfectly next to the spare tire and below the shelf that holds all of my recovery gear.

I have spare fluids, parts, spares, shafts, etc inside each rear quarter panel (cut out the plastic covers) they are more difficult to get to but are rarely needed and still not that bad after you move the spare and or recover box.

On top of the shelf I have a tool box that is strapped down to the old spare tire retainer (not the shelf!!). And there are plenty of tie down points on the shelf for coolers of food, bag's of clothes and camping gear.

My next rendition will be basically the same but the shelf will probably slide out on drawer slides so that you can eat lunch over it and get at things behind the back seat without removing the spare tire. Just a thought, but something I am considering.

Michael

I use those rubbermaid tote things. One gets all the oils/liquids, the other get some survival/camping stuff. They are the smaller ones.

Now that I have the back seats out, I may build a shelf deal that extends from the rear deck, to the back of the front seats, and bolt those suckers down through it. That way, I can still store some stuff on the floor boards, and under where the seat used to be.

If anything, get the totes, and buckle them down in the rear seat.

Here is mine: Search my username under modified tech for a build thread on it.

DSC03587.jpg

DSC03743.jpg

Xjourney (Hans) built a nice box with two slide out drawers. It sits about 6 or 7" off the floor and makes a nice deck to tie cargo too. It's just about even with sill for the hatch and goes to the back of the rear seat. The drawers have latches and the platform has tie-down rings on top. Hopefully he'll see this and post up some pictures. I think its pretty slick and I'll probably make something like it.

I was thinking about making a stackable box system so when I put the seat down I can slide the top section over the seat and have a flat sleeping section.

So here's mine and my 2 cents worth of philosophy:

rearcargo.jpg

Do as much as possible to keep weight low and below the level of the windows.

The dangerous items that are hard to tie down but will leave a big bruise are in the box....including a driveshaft (good front or rear), axle shafts, axe, shovel, recovery gear (straps and shackles, etc.), tire pliers, rope, and stuff that needs to stay dry.

Color coded bags on the floor behind the front seats are for tools, parts and emergency gear, co2 cylinder strapped on left side next to ARB compressor, spare tire with stuff under and on top of it inside the cover, Hi-Lift bolted down in the back where it's easy to get to.

Soft stuff like tents, sleeping bags and food get stuffed into the remaining spaces.

Unless on a major trip like Moab, the stuff does stay below the windows. On a bigger trip, the bread tray comes out and is strapped to the spare tire where soft things get strapped down. Either way, a low center of gravity is the goal and it seems to work out. This is all based on no back seat. Creating these spaces for people that need a backseat is definitely harder but you can make a decision about how often you would need it set up that way.

Yes I still have a back seat, it doesnt get used much but im not ready to pull it. John I like the idea of bags instead of boxes, less bulk.

The only downside to a cargo box that I see is its always full and not easily removable. The shelf on the other hand seems more versatile and can be removed easier. I talked to Trevor about his shelf and looked at his dads verzion, pretty slick. For those who are running shelves how are you mounting them?

TORX said:
I talked to Trevor about his shelf and looked at his dads verzion, pretty slick. For those who are running shelves how are you mounting them?
Here's my "temporary" shelf. It's a grocery store bread tray and gets strapped to the spare tire when needed. They're also stackable. Multiple tiedown points and virtually indestructible while being very cheap or free if you ask for one.

bread.gif

I also left my rear seat in all the time and it finally dawned on me that I could have it out in under 5 minutes. The bottom is a quick disconnect and the uypper section is 2 quick bolts.

When I decided to leave it out I pulled the seatbelts from the floor and use the hardware for tie down points. It also allowed me to move the spare further forward giving more room in the back.

If I did it again with the need to restore the rear seat I would leave the spare tire mounted vertically with a custom mount of some kind that would incorporate other hard parts that could be mounted on the rack on the window side which would be dead space otherwise.

Last edited:
Here is what I have been using for a couple of years. It holds most my tools, recovery gear, and small parts. Larger parts(shafts, fluids, spill kit, tools) are strapped where the rear seat is. I agree with keeping the weight low and below the windows

CargoBox002.jpg

CargoBox007.jpg

CargoBox003.jpg

I used to strap in to the top of my box. But now it is on my bumper along with my highlift. Works for a daily driver but not ideal for a trail rig.

TireCarrier001.jpg

My shelf is currently mounted with "L" brackets through the plastic molding into the inner steel body in 4 locations.

When my cage is done and the shelf goes back in it will be mounted to the cage.

Michael

Thanks for all the replies, you guys definitely got me thinking. After looking at everything I carry for a day trip I noticed I don't have a whole lot. A decent sized toolbox, small container of fluids, and a medium sized container with recovery/emergency gear. I dont carry drive shafts or axles being that I'm only sitting on 30's (knock on wood). Im still in the planning phase so I don't know what I'll end up doing. The way I have things organized now works, I just need to strap everything down and keep it from drifting. Something like Hans made with a spare on top does look appealing though.

Back