• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Fuel pump overheating?

92stroker

NAXJA Forum User
I have replaced the fuel pump 2x recently. The first was a POS from AutoZone, the second an OEM. They both started making buzzing noises. The first one got to the point that it failed completely. When first fired up it runs normally, then after the engine gets hot the buzzing starts. It's loud enough to be heard inside or outside the Jeep, and from a good distance! If I shut off the engine and wait a few seconds, then restart the engine, the buzzing stops for a short time (maybe 3-4 minutes). The frequency becomes shorter and shorter between shut off/restarts until it is constant.
Background: I've had an ongoing heat issue. (See previous lengthy thread naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=91422&highlight) The Jeep is a 92, stroker. #24 injectors, header, bored throttle body and pacer...etc...etc.
Question: Could this be related to the overheating issue? Could the return line to the pump be overheating causing the pumps to fail? What could cause this, heat transfer from the engine? I've started down this road due to the fact that I had the return line fail. It failed at the plastic section between the 2 metal lines that runs up by the firewall. From the look of the hole, it appears that it failed from the inside out and sort of looks melted. Needless to say I'm scared $*#!less to drive the thing!
Could this be happening? Are there other issues that could be heating up the line, or am I barking up the wrong tree altogether?

I had a buddy that seemed to ruin fuel pump relays when his tank got close to empty.. Is this happening with a full tank? 1/2? 1/4? or all the time? His thoery was when the pump became exposed in the tank it overheated. He kept it full and never had a problem..

Ruining pumps by empty tank is due to them not being cooled by fluid and sucking in any debrit. When you took your old pump out was the sock on the bottom clogged or anything like that? Sounds more like the pump is strainging to push full through then overheating, you might be over working it with a stock pump too. If its stroked and bigger injectors you shoulda got a bigger pump to compinsate, does the engine cut out or anything when it starts making noise?

When I put the first pump in I dropped the tank, had it flushed and chemically treated for rust. The sock looked great when I pulled the 1st replacement back out.
It runs great, even when the pump sounds like crap. The only time it was cutting out was right before it failed completely.

Hmmm... i dont know what pumps you can replace it with. I havent really looked into the stroker kit. My roomate has a 383 stroker in his truck and has a bigger pump, and my other roomate as a stroked and cammed trans am that he got a bigger pump for.

might be overwroking the stock replacement fuel pump. If it has to work too hard to keep up with the larger injectors it may be overheating and causing the failure. It should be easy enough to find a fuel pump of similar dimensions with a higher flow rate. If you can't get one local from a good parts store, try summit racing. Just my 2 cents though.

There should be plenty of flow from the sock pump. It sound like you may have loose conections or split wireing somwere causeing a voltage drop witch makes the amperage go up making more heat. Check the wireing the whole path and fix, it is probably easyer to just replace the wireing with somthing a little bigger and be done.

This is just a shot in the dark and probably a bad idea but have you tried bypassing the resistor(the ceramic dohicky)on the drivers side. It takes the pump from 12v to 6v to quiet it down. If it had more juice it may help? but then again maybe not..

Back