• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

OBDII Code reader. Whats the best one 4 the buck?

Odarby

NAXJA Forum User
Want to buy me a OBDII code reader but know squat about which one to buy. I hate buying crap tools,...so I am looking for input as to what to get with the best bang for my buck.

Would love to have a gadget like that! But I have a '92 XJ and that's OBDI, right? Do these OBDII scanners also read OBDI codes?

I have a Scan Guage and it does everything the OEM dash does,........ well almost everything. It also reads codes and plugs into the ODB2 port without wire modifications.

dutchjeep said:
Would love to have a gadget like that! But I have a '92 XJ and that's OBDI, right? Do these OBDII scanners also read OBDI codes?

The short answer is No. OBDII and OBDI are not compatible. On the OBDI years, you can use the "key switch method" to extract codes. Don't feel bad, I have a 96 with OBDII and a 92 with OBDI. Have to keep things straight, as there are a few changes besides the computer that make them different, like belt adjustment. LOL.

I just go down to the parts store and have them check the codes for free :D

There are several different ones available, from cheaper scanners that store the code and then print it externally, to high dollar ones that show you the error code right on the screen.

For the shadetree mechanic, I would think the general scanner would work fine. Shouldn't have to use it too much unless there is something continually wrong with your vehicle though.

Edit - that ScanGauge would be sweet mounted to the dash though.

TellicoReadyXJ said:
Edit - that ScanGauge would be sweet mounted to the dash though.

That's what I thought!

Well I guess I'll just stick to the turn-key code-check then.

Tim

I just picked up a Scangauge II, it reads all the codes, lets you view all the sensor outputs, and give you a trip computer. I've been driving with it for a couple days now and I love it.

Right now I have it mounted on the steering column, but I'll probably end up integrating it into the center console, or mounting it above the rear view mirror.

If you go over to clubtitan.org, they have a groupbuy going on right now for 149 shipped. Mine showed up in about 3 days.

Another option is www.obd-2.com I ordered thier cable and use thier software on a laptop. It works great and the interface is better than any handheld scanner I've ever used. You can log data, and setup a dashboard on the laptop screen to view all your gauges and sensor outputs.

I still like the Scangauge II, for ease of use and the trip computer. I probably won't use the laptop much anymore unless for some reason I want to log some data.

Back