• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Answers (Instrument Cluster)

bikerdude3_2002

NAXJA Forum User
Hey people I have a 99 XJ with the idiot light Instrument Cluster. I just recently came across a 97 XJ Instrument Cluster with all the regular gauges Tach.,volt, temp., oil. I heard of people on here and other forums just swapping out the idiot light cluster for the regular cluster. Is it that easy? Is there any sensors too switch er what not? Also I have too have the new cluster odometer re calibrated right? How much would it be to do the re calibration? well i hope i get answers as soon as possible thank you in advance everyone.:cool:

I don't get it.

Your question got answered over on jeepforum. Now you come over here to ask again.

???

xjohnnyc said:
I don't get it.

Your question got answered over on jeepforum. Now you come over here to ask again.

???
'Cuz searching here won't show the answers from jeepforum?

NAXJA > jeepforum > used toilet paper > JU anyday... :D

Is it a crime too ask on another forum? Yes I did get answers there, maybe I would like a variety of answers from else where. Just like shopping around for one part with different prices.

Not having read what was posted on Jeep Forum; I replaced the Idiot Light instrument cluster on my '98 with a '99 about 5-6 years ago...
Before doing this swap.... I did A LOT of research including acquiring the pin out schematics for a '97 and a '99. I already owned the FSM for the '98.
It is not advisable to install an instrument cluster from a '97 in a '99. While it will work.... there are grounding problems...
The grounds on the bus connectors were changed between '97 & '98; which causes the low washer fluid indicator to be illuminated all the time, the rear window defogger timer (which is installed on the instrument cluster circuit board) will not function, and the rear hatch light will not illuminate either...
Save your money and purchase one from a 98-01.

The swap is straight forward.... Just disassemble and remove the idiot light instrument cluster and snap in the gauge instrument cluster... No sensors or wiring to modify...
Good luck getting the odometer calibrated....
Contacted several shops in a 100 mile radius including several dealers and ALL required that I purchase a new cluster to be calibrated... Most of the shops required that a dealership be the middleman... to ensure the calibrated mileage is correct. A new cluster will cost > $350 from the dealer...
I have the difference documented between my old cluster and the new cluster... for DMV purposes...

Okay, I'll be nice. :) But the answers are YES, NO, and A LOT. You won't get much variety there. Granted, your third question could get some different answers. But it is definitely gonna cost some money. More than it's worth.

Back