• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Replacing oem fogs after a crash

Fish'nCarz

NAXJA Forum User
First, I did search!

My '01 XJ came from the factory with fogs. After a front end collision the previous owner repaired it but didn't replace the fog lights. Switch is still there, and there is a round, gray, plug right up at the front bumper that I'm guessing goes to the fog lights. My question is, if I buy the stock fogs from jeepsareus what else do I need to make these work? Jeepsareus said that they thought I'd just need the foglights, but the wiring they show on their web page doesn't look like it will reach from the lights to the plug, unless I'm missing somethin'. Is there another aftermarket light that will fit in the oem location and do a better job for the same or less $$$, or should I just use the stock lights?

Thanks for any help!

IF the grey connector is located behind the bumper in the center up near the grill that is not for the fog lights, but it is for the outside air temperature sensor that is included with the roof console on the Unlimiteds...
The harness that operates the fog lights is attached to a relay located on the passenger side near the overflow bottle and then splits off down to the foglight mounts behind the valance.
My 98 did not come with the fog light option from the factory; so I ordered the kit and installed it about 6 months after I purchased the Jeep. During the installation; I did not connect the wire that deactivates the foglight relay when the high beams are turned on.

Charles

Step one, that single wire in the center is for temp sensor that goes in an overhead console NOT for fog lights.
Head out and spend $70 or so on a set of Hella 450's or 550's, get the kit with the relay. Somewhere you will find a single wire coming out of the power distrubution center, the factory fog light relays are in that box, find that wire, stick a volt meter on it and verify that it is in fact the correct wire, turn the fog switch on and off with the parking lights on. My guess is that the factory wiring that ran the fogs before is in some split loom plastic tube that should run down somewhere near where the passenger side fog was and there should also be another off of that going to the drivers side unless they did not replace it after the accident. If they cut it somewhere between the PDC and the old fogs you will have to hunt for it but it should be obvious once you locate it.
OK, now break out the Hella kit, mount the hella fused relay right next to the battery, pins down, see that black ground wire going to the fender, thats where you want to mount it unless you want to drill another hole. Now mount the lights under the bumper where the stockers went, see that oval shaped hole under there, it's *almost* big enough, take a tapered drift pin and gently round it out till it fits the fog light bolt. Also pick up 4 big fender washers the same size as the bolt. Put a fender washer on the stud first, put it thru the hole and drop the other fender washer over it, then lock washer and nut. Use anti-seize on the threads for future removal. THe two fender washers will provide a better mounting surface for strength by sandwiching the factory sheet metal between them.
Now for the hookup, take the power lead for the factory fogs and hook it up to the hella relay, the coil side, you are going to use the old wiring to operate the new relay. In the front of the PDC is a red wire going in, there is a cover over it, pop the cover, see that nut and bolt, thats 12V hot and will be used as the power source to the power side of the hella relay, the screw you used to mount the relay is where the ground for the relay can go. Then it's just a matter of hooking up the lights. Rember a relay is nothing more than a remotely operated switch, the coil side operates a set of contacts inside the relay and thats all it does so don't let a relay throw you for aloop, it's just a switch.. In your case the factory fog switch is going to operate the factory relay [switch] which will in turn operate the Hella relay [switch].
The wiring that comes in the Hella kit is one size bigger than the factory wiring, gives you better power.

Oh, www.rallylights.com

Thanks again, guys!!

By the way, does anyone know the oem fog light outside dimensions?

Fish'nCarz said:
Thanks again, guys!!

By the way, does anyone know the oem fog light outside dimensions?

Not off hand but Hella 550's will fit nicely, the 450's are smaller but work just as well, you can get the Hella dimension from the rallylights site..

If ti came factory with fogs and the wiring is already there...or your looking at just purchasing the lights and not the wiring, check out www.jparts.com. They sell the lights seperate from the wiring kit.

I bought both the lights and wiring kit from them and it couldnt have been an easier installation. The wiring kit was already put together and ready to go. All I had to do was cut out the area for the lights, mount the relay under the hood, and run the wire through the firewall. The kit even came with the switch to install....plus a new backing for the rest of the switches to go onto to give it the factory look. I've already got several comments on how clean it looks from those who knew my Jeep didn't come with them.

Back