• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Wheels

Jump This

Just another minion!
Okay, many of you here have built buggies.
What I want to know is what kind of wheels did you choose and why?
What problems did you have? Pro's, con's yadda yadda yadda..

I need to order wheels for my project by tomarrow.

I'm thinking steel with a wide aluminium band.
But who builds something like that?

Thanks

Rick

This is advanced??? And your project is a buggy?

C'mon man. Unless you're machining your own wheels, I don't see how this belongs here in this forum...

...then again, this whole forum has sucked for a while so I guess it shouldn't matter.

Jump This said:
Okay, many of you here have built buggies.
What I want to know is what kind of wheels did you choose and why?
What problems did you have? Pro's, con's yadda yadda yadda..

I need to order wheels for my project by tomarrow.

I'm thinking steel with a wide aluminium band.
But who builds something like that?

Thanks

Rick

I'd get some black "steelies".
I read on the interweb that they're the bestest rimz, evar!

Capt. Nemo said:
This is advanced??? And your project is a buggy?

C'mon man. Unless you're machining your own wheels, I don't see how this belongs here in this forum...

...then again, this whole forum has sucked for a while so I guess it shouldn't matter.

Well...you gotta' point there.
So far almost 100 people have viewed this thread and
I only get these answers.
Yep...not advanced enough for ya'....

Wheel choices are not advanced fab I know, but I'm just thinkin'
that there just maybe a few who visit this forum that run bead locks...

:D

Oh..and I know ITS NOT A BUGGY!

Last edited:
Jump This said:
Well...you gotta' point there.
So far almost 100 people have viewed this thread and
I only get these answers.
Yep...not advanced enough for ya'....

Wheel choices are not advanced fab I know, but I'm just thinkin'
that there just maybe a few who visit this forum that run bead locks...

Oh..and I know ITS NOT A BUGGY!

There was no mention of beadlocks in your original post. I knew that's where you were going, but I'm not about to assume anything...

And as for the view count - if that's what makes it advanced - then I guess a user with a high post count makes them an expert wheeler :cool:

I guess what I'm getting at, and what maybe the high view count was hoping for, is that some research and discussion would have been cool- manufacturers, materials, internal locks, external locks, double locks... etc. And then maybe gone into the advantages and disadvantages of each taking into account materials and manufacturing, sizing (width and diameter) in relation to tire size, weight, strength, etc... After that, fire away with your questions. That to me separates an advanced thread from the normal NAXJA stuff.

Not trying to bust your balls, as I have no room to do so. Good luck. :cheers:

Hmmm....I just re-read my post, and it wasn't clear about wanting info on bead locks.

But still....the only bead locks I have are on the dune buggie so I don't have
any first hand info on running bead locks in the rocks.

Most are running Trail Ready, but thier web site is devoid of enough information for me to make a choice based on what I read there.

Taylor has broken two wheels...American? I think? But I couldn't even find any info on American bead locks.

I'm not a big fan of cast wheels.
But who makes a steel bead lock? Even better would be a steel wheel with an aluminium ring. But I can't find any information on who would make them?

So the question still remains.....Where the f*ck can I find something like like the steel with aluminium ring?

and I know its hard to define what Ad Fab is or should be. But until there is some well defined criteria I will probably continue to post most of my questions here, I already know what size lift I need to clear 31" tires...

Jump This said:
But who makes a steel bead lock? Even better would be a steel wheel with an aluminium ring. But I can't find any information on who would make them?

So the question still remains.....Where the f*ck can I find something like like the steel with aluminium ring?

Anyone that makes rims makes steel beadlocked rim, good night. MRW, Marsh, STAZ, Trailready (I think), Allied, ect ect. Go look through pirate vendor boards. And yeah this doesn't belong in andvanced. Google works well too.

Mine came from Great Lakes Offroad, standard weld-in beadlock kit. The wheels are just 16" OEM wheels from GM.

DSC01792.JPG

Paint needs to be redone after nearly every trip, but the beadlocks themselves work well. No complaints.

After bending about 4 sets of black steelies...

i bought some Eagle alloys...

non-beadlocked, plan on calling Beadlock Specialties or Champion when i have a few spare hundred $$$.

I havent bent a rim or borken one yet...

the cats meow (according to my co-worker :D) is the forged alloys such as Alcoa with some aftermarket beadlock...

I ran Champions with Mickey Thompson cast wheels for about 8 years & never bent/broke a wheel, rarely had any bolts loosen, never had a bolt break, & when I was running MT/R's I never had to balance them.
I think Dave's issues with Champion were related to the wheels, not the beadlocks. You can deliver any AL wheel for them to beadlock.
I just got new wheels last month & switched to WE's for 2 reasons.
1) a freind of mine just bought 1 new Champion for mock-up & found that they redesigned the inner weld on beadlock ring for the worse.
2) WE's are now cheaper than Champion.
Unfortunately, the WE's are as heavy as everyone said they are.
I helped someone install TR beadlocks a few years ago & that was enough to know that I wouldn't buy TR.

Paul

Back