• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Insatlling a Tom Woods hacked and tapped in my 242 - couple of questions

MoFo

NAXJA Forum User
NAXJA Memorial Lifetime Member
1987 XJ NP242 TC (I did search first)

Getting ready to install the TW hacked shaft and new drive shaft. I have 200K on the clock and I don't know what service this has had from the previous owner.

I am thinking I should replace the chain while I am inside the TC. Is there anything else I sould do while in there?

I called NAPA for the chain, and they did not even list the 242 transfer case in a 1987 Cherokee. Does anybody have the NAPA number for the chain? Can you recommend someplace else where I can buy the chain?

TIA

NTP 10028 is the NAPA part # for the 242 T/C $82.49 @ NAPAonline.com

BTW I did not have to open my 242 to install the RE SYE Hack N Tap kit.

mikeforte said:
NTP 10028 is the NAPA part # for the 242 T/C $82.49 @ NAPAonline.com

BTW I did not have to open my 242 to install the RE SYE Hack N Tap kit.

You send your shaft to TW and they install the H&T rather than doing it yourself; thus, you must open the case to remove the shaft. When we did mine, we also repalced the plastic shift fork pads, which has probably not necessary and was a PITA--unless they are visibly damaged, I would consider leaving then alone.

Thanks for the advice on the shift pads.

Did you replace the chain while you were in there? I am trying to figure out how many miles the chains are good for. If it is time for a chain, I want to buy one before I open it up.

Anybody else have advice on the chain at 200K miles?

I actually used my spare 242 for the H&T (142K) and the chain looked fine so we left it alone. The 242 that was in the Jeep has 175K and works fine. Unless it's really stretched (there are pix of a stretched chain in some threads) or was giving you problems prior to the H&T I don't think I'd bother. I'm sure others will have opposing opinions; in the end, it's up to you.

Back