• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Couple upgrade questions

RabidRabit

NAXJA Forum User
89XJ 4.0 I want to upgrade my alternator. What's the best junkyard swap I can do and what kind of amperage is it going to give me.
Second question is I'd like to go to an open rad system. What rads will fit with the least amount of work?

Do you have a/c or no?
If no, then look at other 4.0 motors with out a/c, the alternator on a jeep with a/c is 90 amps, where as the the ones with out a/c are 130. great for the extra lighting.

But i dont know if you have to upgrade the wiring and fuses if you go to the 130 from the 90, any one have an answer to that?

I just got a 136amp alt from a 98 Durango V8. From past reading I thought it was around 96 that they went upto the 124amp alts... older ones being the 96amp. Even still my old alt has been submersed a few times and I think the upgrade however minimal is warranted. I also plan on moving it upto where my A/C is since I never use it.
any 97-98 Dodge V8 truck,van,SUV has the 136amp alt as far as I know, and takes very little work to make it fit into our rigs.

beakie said:
I just got a 136amp alt from a 98 Durango V8. From past reading I thought it was around 96 that they went upto the 124amp alts... older ones being the 96amp. Even still my old alt has been submersed a few times and I think the upgrade however minimal is warranted. I also plan on moving it upto where my A/C is since I never use it.
any 97-98 Dodge V8 truck,van,SUV has the 136amp alt as far as I know, and takes very little work to make it fit into our rigs.

What exactly must be done to make the Dosge altenator fit in the XJ? Will it fit all years back to my older Renix XJ with the same modifications?

to be honest I don't know, I have searched on here and found lots of info on the subject. I understand that using the mount from your renix will work perfectly on my 97 for raising the alt up to a/c position, but I am not sure for older rides like yours. the search has given me lots of info on the subject and I am sure it will do the same for you. if I had the knowledge I would give it to you tho.

Back