• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

When you go to the junk yard, what do you call...

selarep

NAXJA Forum User
your parts?
For instance, what would you tell the cashier control arms are?
I went in ans picked some up, the cashier rang them up as torsion bars. it was 25$ and I know I could have called them something else.
any one else have any special names for any other parts?

Control arms are control arms............guess you could call them 4 link arms!?!?!? Axle positioning arms. Maybe call them fourarms. Dunno what they are if they ain't control arms?

mikeforte said:
Control arms are control arms............guess you could call them 4 link arms!?!?!? Axle positioning arms. Maybe call them fourarms. Dunno what they are if they ain't control arms?

the guy didnt know what control arms were though... torsion arms i guess ran more so thats what he rang me up as. I guess to make the company more money.

Me@PinknPull said:
Hi, how much for these 2 short and fat... stubby... flagpoles?

I'm trying to see if me being honest about the part i was trying to buy could have saved me money

One of the u-pull-it yards I frequent gives you a price list when you enter, and when they total your catch for the day, the part names are printed on the receipt. No guess work there.
They have control arms listed as $11, and down the list are torsion bars for the same price. So your place might be charging similar prices for those two items. I don't think you got ripped off by misnaming the part. Unless, did they charge you $25 each???

The only prices they get creative with are for small items not on the list, like if you walk up with a handful of vac hoses, fasteners, emblems etc. Stuff like that they put on the receipt as misc., and they hit you for 1,2,3 bucks depending on who's on duty that day....

I think it's good question. In the junk yards around me the cashiers are young ladies who never go into the yard and price things off a computer.
Most of the people don't speak english so everything is open to interpetation(as is my spelling) The way I do it go see if they have what I need,go to the office and check the price making sure they are quoting on the correct item,and if everything is good I then go pull the part. No problems!
Good luck

lamula said:
I think it's good question. In the junk yards around me the cashiers are young ladies who never go into the yard and price things off a computer.
Most of the people don't speak english so everything is open to interpetation(as is my spelling) The way I do it go see if they have what I need,go to the office and check the price making sure they are quoting on the correct item,and if everything is good I then go pull the part. No problems!
Good luck

Same problem here, except the english speaking part. I believe some of them would be maxed out working at McDonalds, let alone trying to look up and crossreference parts. Nice tip on the correct way of avoiding being screwed.

o4petesake said:
Looks like this guy is only asking a dummy question to get his "for sale" ad posted???.....What do you think?
WTF are you talking about?

He is a member, and has more than enough posts to post in the "For Sale" forum.

Newbeme said:
Nice tip on the correct way of avoiding being screwed.

Thats the goal of this posting, just trying to see how others get out of paying so much, as in is there something I'm not doing right?
hopefully other can get the jist of this and save some $$$ too.

selarep said:
Thats the goal of this posting, just trying to see how others get out of paying so much, as in is there something I'm not doing right?
hopefully other can get the jist of this and save some $$$ too.
Depends on the yard, I'm a regular at many and get a "good old boy" discount.
At others I ask first, if they are way out of line, I move on to another yard. Some of the yard people think they are sitting on a gold mine, I had one quote me $30 for a well used Renix coolant football.
If I'm looking for a deal at an unknown yard, I come in with a list, get a quote on everything and then just buy whatever pieces appear relatively cheap.
A lot of old XJ's around, they last well. And with the price of gas going up, many fairly good ones are finding there way into the yards. Buyers market around here.

Blaine B. said:
I know what you mean. Overpricing used, "junk" junkyard parts is sick.

I've been able to get them to lower the price on some things by saying "look, this part is dirty and smells bad, its not worth what you're asking in this condition..." or that it is going to need cleaned up, parts replaced or repaired to work properly.

I think that Quadratec.com would have been sheaper than what they chared you, give or take a few bucks and considering that you got used parts.

My buddy and I picked out some Garret T3 turbos from volvos and saabs and the guy at the counter said it was an "air flow meter" on his own. We simply agreed and paid for our "air flow meters"

o4petesake said:
Looks like this guy is only asking a dummy question to get his "for sale" ad posted???.....What do you think?
At least they are a member not a NO DUES PAYING freeloader. Besides I enjoy their avatar.

Back