• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

D44 vs. 8.25 brakes

gcam

NAXJA Forum User
I have a '96 XJ with an 8.25, and a box full of rear disc brake parts from a wrecked Liberty. I was hoping to convert the 8.25 to discs. One concern I have is whether or not my 15" rims will fit over a set of calipers from a Liberty. New rims and tires are not in the budget. In the mean time, I've just stumbled on a D44 rear for $400.

I use the Jeep for commuting, light off roading, and (soon) towing a small camper trailer. I see better brakes as a good investment in any vehicle.

Soo... What do you think? Keep the 8.25, and try to make the discs and e-brake work (need the e-brake for inspections), or just throw in a D44? Would I notice better braking from the D44 compared to the stock 8.25 drums? Are the drums bigger on a D44?

Thanks for any input.

Geoff

$400 for a D44?? i hope its complete. i'd suggest the 44 swap. the brakes on it are 11" x 2.5".. plenty of brakes for what you will do. bear in mind that if you need to do new brakes on it you are looking at $250 or so.. the drums alone are about $80 each. i just did all new brakes on mine last year.

gcam said:
I have a '96 XJ with an 8.25, and a box full of rear disc brake parts from a wrecked Liberty. I was hoping to convert the 8.25 to discs. One concern I have is whether or not my 15" rims will fit over a set of calipers from a Liberty. New rims and tires are not in the budget. In the mean time, I've just stumbled on a D44 rear for $400.

Your 8.25 brake parts should fit. Note the emphasis here: I've heard of it being done, but have never seen it in practice. More:

Soo... What do you think? Keep the 8.25, and try to make the discs and e-brake work (need the e-brake for inspections), or just throw in a D44? Would I notice better braking from the D44 compared to the stock 8.25 drums? Are the drums bigger on a D44?

I'd vote for making everything work with the 8.25 before swapping in a D44 - they're about comparable in terms of strength. Having said that, I went the D44 route recently (with Teraflex discs), but that was largely because I wasn't keen on the locker options for the 8.25.

If you keep the 8.25 you can avoid an axle swap. It really just depends on how into things you want to get, though it's not a massive deal.

The D44 drums are 10" x 2.5" and have different wheel cylinder sizes available to increase the braking to the point they will over power your front brakes big time. They use 7/8" wheel cylinders stock and have different sizes available to 1 1/8".

I would keep the 8.25 as long as it is a 29 spline axle. One of the main downfalls to the 8.25 is that it is a c-clip axle. This means if you break an axle on the trail, the shaft/tire will ride out from under you...but doing disc brakes will keep the axle in the jeep and eliminate the problem with c-clips. the 8.25 29 spline and the D44 are comparable in strength. Also disc brakes clean up and last a whole lot longer than drums if they see the kind of mud/water we have here in PA.

I can lock up 34" tires easy with my rear zj discs in a panic stop.

If you;re just commuting, pulling a trailer, and light wheeling, I would keep the 8.25.

If you were wheeling it hard I would go with the 44, though.

Back